• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP017A - Alternative to MEP002A

ncduece

i ordered this kit 2 weeks ago and am in the process of installing it. the 13620" is the correct number, the only problem i have run into is the fittings they send you are to long and wont work, there is not much room between the bottom of the carb and engine block. which looks like a easy fix with a 1/8 pipe elbow, other than that it a simple install. i will be running mine on wellhead gas so i have to get and additional regulator . once i get it running ill post agian

MrArmyAnt

I found one of these for 400 on CL. After seeing what they go for on GL I will wait. I just bought a 3 phase Colchester lathe and need to power it to fix it/make some parts before I sell it. Think I could take the motor of a 17a and power it with the PTO from my deuce?

Keith_J

I found one of these for 400 on CL. After seeing what they go for on GL I will wait. I just bought a 3 phase Colchester lathe and need to power it to fix it/make some parts before I sell it. Think I could take the motor of a 17a and power it with the PTO from my deuce?
If you can get 3600 RPM somehow. And it will need an input bearing since these generators share middle bearing with the engine, the generator having only an outboard bearing.

MrArmyAnt

If you can get 3600 RPM somehow. And it will need an input bearing since these generators share middle bearing with the engine, the generator having only an outboard bearing.

I was thinking of using pulleys to get up to that speed. Also a bearing shouldn't be too hard.

hmsgoodhope

Many thanks!

Super thread - answers multiple questions I had for my civilian 15K Generic genset and my MEP017A. Looks like I can mod both and have options aplenty for fuel - should these be needed. Many thanks to all for great dope - and follow-on threads contained in this discussion!
Ed

Irv

The MEP-017A has 240V, but no neutral. I have heard that you can dive in there and bring one out somehow. Without a neutral, you can't just feed your house. The 120V comes from each side of the center tap, which is not brought out.

Anyone have good info for getting a neutral wire out? Irv

derf

The MEP-017A has 240V, but no neutral. I have heard that you can dive in there and bring one out somehow. Without a neutral, you can't just feed your house. The 120V comes from each side of the center tap, which is not brought out.

Anyone have good info for getting a neutral wire out? Irv

This can be done on some of the MEPs but I'm not sure about the 017.

derf

BTW, the 017 is a 3600 RPM gen set. The 002 is an 1800 RPM Diesel gen set. When it comes to fuel consumption there is a big advantage to the Diesel. Remember, the military doesn't care how much fuel costs.
LPG and NG have some advantages over gasoline but you don't get 100% output from LPG or NG. So, you can reduce your max output to about 80% when converted, in general.
Sorry to bash the gas, NG, and LPG but sometimes those facts are overlooked, especially by people selling conversions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks