• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep802a coolent

Waterhouse

Ok, so I removed the pump and it was clogged also. For anyone seeing this thread in the future, there is a video on utube that shows removing the pump. In the video, he removes the outside sheet metal and alternator and fan to get at the pump. You do not have to do this! I had the pump w/fan out in my hand in less time than removing the sheetmetal. It was a pretty easy job.

My pump looks fine and after cleaning I'm going to install it back. I don't think I have ever reinstalled a used pump, but in this case, it wasn't leaking, no bearing noise and the clog is obviously the problem.

America

Ok, so I removed the pump and it was clogged also. For anyone seeing this thread in the future, there is a video on utube that shows removing the pump. In the video, he removes the outside sheet metal and alternator and fan to get at the pump. You do not have to do this! I had the pump w/fan out in my hand in less time than removing the sheetmetal. It was a pretty easy job.

My pump looks fine and after cleaning I'm going to install it back. I don't think I have ever reinstalled a used pump, but in this case, it wasn't leaking, no bearing noise and the clog is obviously the problem.
What did you use to clean the clog? Nothing else’s was clogged? Seems like it would be everywhere the coolant touches.

Waterhouse

What did you use to clean the clog? Nothing else’s was clogged? Seems like it would be everywhere the coolant touches.
It was only in a couple places. I used a pic and a wire brush. I looked in the water jacket with a mirror and couldn't see anything. When I get it back together, I intend to flush it a couple times now that the pump should move some water.

One thing bad, I twisted the shut down sensor off. It broke flush with the housing. I don't think it will leak, but I sure wish I hadn't tried to remove it. Anybody know a source for them?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Go and get yourself a box of powdered cascade dish washer detergent. Take a gallon container, and put a bunch in, fill it with hot water from your tap, shake it really well. Pour all that in, and fill up with you water hose. Run the unit, drain it, run water through the unit, close it, run it some more. Shut it down and drain it, flush some more with your water hose, let it drain all the way. open all drains, radiator and block. close it all up, add your coolant.

The 1 time with cascade should do the job. If you feel, it still seems like there is a lot of crud still, keep going a bunch of times. Flush really well with water before you put fresh coolant in.

Waterhouse

Howdy,
Go and get yourself a box of powdered cascade dish washer detergent. Take a gallon container, and put a bunch in, fill it with hot water from your tap, shake it really well. Pour all that in, and fill up with you water hose. Run the unit, drain it, run water through the unit, close it, run it some more. Shut it down and drain it, flush some more with your water hose, let it drain all the way. open all drains, radiator and block. close it all up, add your coolant.

The 1 time with cascade should do the job. If you feel, it still seems like there is a lot of crud still, keep going a bunch of times. Flush really well with water before you put fresh coolant in.
Thankyou, that sounds like a plan.

Waterhouse

Howdy,

So they don't sell boxes of cascade anymore. They have these little tide pod things of it. I didn't like putting the little pods in the radiator, but what the h3ll. Ran it for ten minutes and pulled the bottom hose. Lots of chocolate milk. So I did it again with more pods. After ten minutes, more chocolate. I'm on my forth time now. Had to take a break for lunch. I will say the last time I pulled the hose, the chocolate milk was watered down. So I must be getting somewhere. Also, the temp never exceeded 185.

I'll update my final results later.

PS, I was joking about putting the pods in the rad. I stirred them up in a bucket and sifted the mixture while putting it in.

Waterhouse

So I rinsed it out about four times with regular water and it finally drained clear. Each time I ran it till the thermostat opened and then a minute or so more. If you want to know when your thermostat opens, I found an easy way to tell. First wait till the gauge gets close to 180. Then put your finger on the rad right where the top hose comes in. The second the thermostat opens the metal gets hot. Not so hot to burn you, but you can't keep your finger on it.

Anyways, the last time I drained it, I dumped in about 3/4 gallon of green coolant and Filled the overflow half full. I ran it again. This time something strange happened. First the gauge went from 160 to about 210 quickly. I went back to feel the rad next to the top hose and the thermostat just opened. (It was only cool for a second) Then I went back to look at the gauge and it read 180. While I was letting it run, I happened to notice the overflow was completely empty. I filled it half full again and let it run another five minutes. The overflow never changed after that. That was last night, so I'll check it today when it's cool.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
When you say tide pod... I hope you mean the one for dishwasher. Not laundry. :)

Any good powdered dishwasher detergent is good. As it has the cleaning action, and is safe for the metals found through the cooling system temporarily.

Good process for final filling.
Close all drains, fill unit with coolant, click dead start some, add more coolant, click dead start some, fill coolant, put cap on, fill coolant overflow 3/4 full, run unit and reach operating temp, watch overflow tank, shut down, after cooling, check radiator level, top off if necessary, top off overflow to 1/2 full or slightly more.

Last edited:

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sludge looks the same I had in my T-stat housing and water pump (802A) when I opened it. It is gelled leak sealer. Apparently my unit had a leak at the hose to radiator connection, and someone filled the unit with leak stop, instead of soldering the radiator inlet pipe. This stuff cleaned up easy with hot water. I flushed out my engine with hot water for about 15 minutes (used my washing machine hot water connection for the garden hose). I recommend filling your system with water only, and let it run until hot, then letting it cool off until you can touch it, and draining the system. Repeat that until you get clear water. After that you can put in new antifreeze.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks