• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP802A has Phase 3 power but no phase 1 power?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. Stop. If the problem is not a problem, until you close the out put circuit breaker, (K1) then the problem is not your main gen. Its from the K1 to output terminals. Thats the only thing that changes when the set is running no load, and running with load.

What kind of a load are you running?
Where is it hooked up?
How is it hooked up.
Pictures might give up a hint.

But I dont think you have a main gen problem.
See this is why I deferred. This makes absolute sense, and had I been thinking about it more... the set produces power the moment its on, so it absolutely has to be from somewhere on the outbound circuit giving you hell. Thanks Guy.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like one of the leads running from K1 to the output lugs has chaffed through the insulation and is shorting to the chassis. The clue here is removing the bonding bar makes the problem go away. Removing the bar eliminates the path from the chassis to Neutral.

Pop the top cover off and carefully inspect the 3 leads from K1 and check their run from there to the lugs.
Which also means the chassis is hot when the bar is in place... lucky you didn't get 'bit'. Thanks Kurt!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just STOP.
You are making me and others really nervous.
You are dealing with electricity. Make sure you have the unit properly grounded before moving on.
Get accustomed to the terms for the unit.
From what you have stated so far.... It sounds like a wire has chaffed from vibration and is making contact with the unit. You need to get into the unit and follow all wires to find the rub thru.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nesting there is very common... did you find chewed wires or any wire issues? Did you undo the connections, clean, and reassemble? Past removing the nest... what else did you do? Where this nest is, would not necessarily change the issue you were having (as this is before the contactor down to the lugs). The outbound circuit is more to the side of the machine with the water separator. Those large wires that leave the contactor and go down to the lugs are suspect to me (and I think others here).

ECS

Nesting there is very common... did you find chewed wires or any wire issues? Did you undo the connections, clean, and reassemble? Past removing the nest... what else did you do? Where this nest is, would not necessarily change the issue you were having (as this is before the contactor down to the lugs). The outbound circuit is more to the side of the machine with the water separator. Those large wires that leave the contactor and go down to the lugs are suspect to me (and I think others here).

Thanks again for your help !!

Where the nest it was OK.

The L1 line was chewed and was touching the case. I found it checking continuity from L1 to Ground.

I had to remove the bond when checking all the continuity points. Then I put it back when I found the issue.

So .. a few weeks back I noticed a snake hanging out around the generator when the generator was sitting on the ground. Apparently it was there for a reason.
Generator is back on the trailer now.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the creature of interest !
This is why I cover the large cutout under the engine with 1/4" hardware cloth and sheet metal screws on every machine I go through. The holes under the batteries are covered properly with the batteries and trays in place, but the rodents go into the engine bay through the large cutout, and ALWAYS nest here. You got lucky. There are thousands of machines across the US in private hands, with that hole wide open... makes for a scary proposition... try to not think about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks