• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP802a Just wondering if anyone has used Amsoil ?????

Humpy

Going to Bragg to pick up a 802a on Monday with 255 hours on it. I note the Lube Order calls for 250 hour oil changes and 30/15W40 for 32°F and above.

Thusly I was looking at Amsoil web site this morning and they list a synthetic heavy duty diesel lube for pre 2007 diesels 15W/40 good to -44°F and 600 hour change intervals.

Here in the Cradle of the Confederacy (SC) it rarely gets below 10°F and the last ice storm was right around 30°F as I remember which is basically the only thing that has caused power loss for us in last 20 years here?. (We are inland 95 miles so hurricanes will provide heavy rain but little damage this far in)

Then I read the gov't test where they ran low RPM/KW diesel generators with synthetic oil continiously for 5000 hours and that was impressive.

I have a new fuel oil tank that I think holds 200 or 250 gallons I plan on topping off with Off Road diesel and the appropriate chemicals for long term storage as a back up.

Thusly I figure if anyone has ever used Amsoil in their diesels it would be one of you guys.

As a side note I made contact with a guy who was engineer with Libby back when the 802s etc came on line and he said they did internal test runs of 6000 hours and used nothing but Rotella T1 30 wgt oil in all their testing which is what I have laid in now (2 gals to start). It was his opinion on diesel generators to use nothing but 30 wgt diesel oil so that tends to be a considered opinion from a guy who has been there, done that and got all the T shirts.:)

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you decide to run the oil for longer intervals its worth it to pull a samples and have them analyzed to best know how long you can go.

I've used blackstone and my local Gregory Poole lab. Blackstone does a better job offering info about the analysis.

Humpy

Kind of what I was figuring as well to use the T1 and just go the 250 hour route.

Just checked and I have six gallons on board for the backhoe and the generator but will get more. As well you can use oil additives with T1 but with Amsoil it says do not.

For the amount of time I would run it just to keep it loose would only be 20 hours a year unless we get another ice storm and then perhaps 100 hours. Once I get it going I have to make a decision to keep or part with the MEP017. Its handy as it is mounted on a converted garden tractor chassis and easy to move around now. It runs good and I have hd a load test at 5100 watts and meter read 80%.

As well it (as well as my other units) will be stored indoors where it never goes below 40°F and would be started within minutes of rolling it outside so that should not be as problem.

Not familiar with Blackstone? You got a http on them?

Last edited: