• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP802A load test ?

epitts

Are the 802/803 units load testing as good as the MEP002/3's test? I put 10kw on my 002 for a short time, it did not like it but it took it and ran better afterwards. How much can the 802/3's take.

jbk

i have both 802 and 002 i use 7.5 kw when load testing my 002 and it could take more doesnt stuggle at all. same load on my 802 and it does works hard to keep up. my opinon the 002 is more robust.

oliveone

the 002/003 are set up different then the new 802/803s. my 803 car run 10KW all day with no issue. if you try to pull way more then the generator rating the generator will shut down and the overload circuit will need to be reset. this could be good or bad depending how you look at it. when I have a large load on the generator I have seen my KW meter over 100% for short times and no issues. this was caused by deep well pump turning on. both have there good point and bad. to each there own.

bookpile

i have both 802 and 002 i use 7.5 kw when load testing my 002 and it could take more doesnt stuggle at all. same load on my 802 and it does works hard to keep up. my opinon the 002 is more robust.
JBK what are you using for the load test? Do you have something professional or a homemade setup? I have an 802 so I guess I should be looking for something in the 6kw range to give it a workout?

Thanks,

Travis

ETN550

I have a home made load bank that has enough steps that when I use the variable voltage control on the generators I can get almost complete variable load coverage from 450 watts to 15kw. It uses commercial duct heating elements.

I don't test 002s but I do test 802As. At my elevation, around 1000ft, summer conditions of 85 - 90f and humid the 802A will take about 6kw before it has response issues and any more than that it will begin to smoke a lot. At 5kw it is very happy all day long and runs with low noise and low vibration.

In the colder dryer weather the 6 kw is accepted better and it stay smoke free. But if I step a 7.5 kw load on it the unit will drop speed slowly and then trip out. The unit has an over voltage, undervoltage and over current sensing and auto trips the main interrupter relay. It will trip with under voltage and not with over load.

I have had two units at different times and tested both. They were the same. I also verified compression on both and they were good indicating a healthy engine. The first one I had the injectors tested and they were in spec. I was initially thinking the smoke at 6kw+ was indication of a problem but as it turned out the unit is just at its limit.

One word of caution regarding the load. Measure voltage and current to compute the load with a power factor of one (resistance load) to be accurate. The numbers I quote are actual. Labels on small heaters and hair dryers are often very optimistic. My 1800watt hairdryer pulls around 1350. My 1500 watt heater, around 1350 also.

TurboJoe

I have a home made load bank that has enough steps that when I use the variable voltage control on the generators I can get almost complete variable load coverage from 450 watts to 15kw. It uses commercial duct heating elements.

I don't test 002s but I do test 802As. At my elevation, around 1000ft, summer conditions of 85 - 90f and humid the 802A will take about 6kw before it has response issues and any more than that it will begin to smoke a lot. At 5kw it is very happy all day long and runs with low noise and low vibration.

In the colder dryer weather the 6 kw is accepted better and it stay smoke free. But if I step a 7.5 kw load on it the unit will drop speed slowly and then trip out. The unit has an over voltage, undervoltage and over current sensing and auto trips the main interrupter relay. It will trip with under voltage and not with over load.

I have had two units at different times and tested both. They were the same. I also verified compression on both and they were good indicating a healthy engine. The first one I had the injectors tested and they were in spec. I was initially thinking the smoke at 6kw+ was indication of a problem but as it turned out the unit is just at its limit.

One word of caution regarding the load. Measure voltage and current to compute the load with a power factor of one (resistance load) to be accurate. The numbers I quote are actual. Labels on small heaters and hair dryers are often very optimistic. My 1800watt hairdryer pulls around 1350. My 1500 watt heater, around 1350 also.
That is a very useful report. Thank you, very much appreciated.

I am curious have you ever used your load bank on the box store equivalent gasoline powered "8kw" set?

ETN550

I never load banked a gas unit. I did load bank the 3kw diesel Pow'r Gards that you might see in the auctions from time to time. The weight of the gen end is less than half the 3kw 016 series. Their gen end is equal to a quality consumer unit like a Honda. The Pow'r Gards do not like anything over the 3kw rating in the summer heat. The Fuji made Wisconsin Robin engines tend to be smokey and they don't seem to like the new Ultra low sulpher diesel either. They do seem to run much better with fuel addative.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks