• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803 Fixup

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the weekend I got the fuel lines on one of the 803's replaced so I could load test it. Started the unit and warmed it up. It had the normal raw fuel smell the LP engines have before they warm up BUT in this case the smell only decreased some but didn't go away. Hm...

I warmed it up and put it on load and its doing fine holding the load but more smoke than normal. Maybe it is wetstacked. It has about 50hrs showing on the clock. I bring the load up and it looks like it is running on 3 cylinders. Crap.

Initial checks - no crankcase pressure (good news). Getting some puffing in the intake. Thinking we have a stuck intake valve.

Interestingly even running on 3 cylinders it will still make 10kw. It won't make 12 but it will make 10. This should be a strong runner once I get it running on all 4.

Will document the progress as I make it here.

2023-04-02 11.03.18 (Large).jpg

Attachments

Ray70

Interesting! Puffing / popping in the intake definitely sounds like a leaking intake valve.
If it's wet stacked I have seen many sets where a valve gets hung open just a bit due to carbon buildup on the valve/seat.
I have fixed a lot of them by removing the valve spring, pressurizing the cyl. with air and spinning the valve with a cordless drill to scrape off the carbon, then reassemble ( wait 1/2 hr. before starting to bleed down the lifters ) then start and run it hard.
Note: the air is really only so I can hear when the valve is seated correctly. if you don't have a way to pressurize through the injector hole, just put the piston at TDC and pull upward on your drill a bit and spin the valve back and forth a couple dozen times.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Just curious Ray. Without pressure in the combustion chamber holding the valves up, how far will they drop when the piston is at TDC? It may make it difficult to compress the springs far enough to get the keepers off of the valves.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the weekend I got the fuel lines on one of the 803's replaced so I could load test it. Started the unit and warmed it up. It had the normal raw fuel smell the LP engines have before they warm up BUT in this case the smell only decreased some but didn't go away. Hm...

I warmed it up and put it on load and its doing fine holding the load but more smoke than normal. Maybe it is wetstacked. It has about 50hrs showing on the clock. I bring the load up and it looks like it is running on 3 cylinders. Crap.

Initial checks - no crankcase pressure (good news). Getting some puffing in the intake. Thinking we have a stuck intake valve.

Interestingly even running on 3 cylinders it will still make 10kw. It won't make 12 but it will make 10. This should be a strong runner once I get it running on all 4.

Will document the progress as I make it here.

View attachment 894545
My 803 recently is starting fine but not firing on cylinder 3 and 4!! I turn in the idle knob to increase rpm and in about 10 minutes they start working...I'd be curious as to what you find. Mine is a low hour 160 as well. The valve sticking does make sense because it does smoke a good bit and the exhaust manifolds are cold on 3 4 while 1 & 2 are at 170 or so. I may try some oil additive and see if it clears up. I did not load mine while the 3 & 4 were not working. Once they did I ran it under load for almost a day.

Ray70

At TDC the valve can barely move at all, so it shouldn't be a problem getting the keepers out. If he has a problem you can always get in there with something to hold the valve up, or even stick some string or thin rope into the cylinder, then rotate the crank by hand to push the rope up and against the valves.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At TDC the valve can barely move at all, so it shouldn't be a problem getting the keepers out. If he has a problem you can always get in there with something to hold the valve up, or even stick some string or thin rope into the cylinder, then rotate the crank by hand to push the rope up and against the valves.
We used to put string in the cylinder through the plug hole on a gas engine to hold the valves up when we needed to change valve springs trackside.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I think I found the problem with the cold cylinder.

Bent pushrod. Looks like a snake. Inside of the engine is pristine.

Swapped in a good pushrod and waited till the lifter bleed down.

She fired up on all 4 cylinders. Running SMOOOOOTH and got heat across the exhaust manifold.

Put it on load after it warmed up and 12kw didn't even pull it down to 60hz from a 61.5hz unloaded RPM. She is going to be a beast.

Going to change the oil and pull the side cover to see how bad the lifter is beat up. I expect it is going to look rough if the end of the pushrod is any indicator. I do have oil coming through the replaced pushrod as normal. Thats a good sign at least.

One step closer to having it ready to go to its new home.

2023-04-10 18.36.31 (Large).jpg2023-04-10 18.36.35 (Large).jpg2023-04-10 18.36.46 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question for the brain trust. I pulled parts from one of the parts units to finish up the 803. The parts machines are 90s vintage. The 803 I'm working on in this thread is early 2000's. The rocker arms are the same size with one difference. The newer vintage machine has an oil hole for the pushrod where the 90s vintage machines do not. I'd prefer to not mix the styles.

Anyone know when this change was made?

If anyone has one of the newer rocker arms available drop me a DM. I'd rather source one from the community here than a random person on ebay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks