• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep803a Cranks but won't turn over

kekle

Sorry to bother everyone but I can't seem to figure this one out.
My 803 was running fine until the priming pump went out a few months ago.
I finally got around to replacing it and now the starter engages but won't turn the engine over, either from the s switch nor the dead crank.
I don't ever know were to start.
Anyone have any ideas?

Cecil in Orlando
just waiting on Ian next week!

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi @kekle,

I have an MEP-804A that was difficult like this. I had to open the air bleeder ports in the fuel delivery system to get air out. Then it started. There’s an old saying though… if all you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail! In other words, just because we have the same symptoms doesn’t mean we have the same root cause. I found that the troubleshooting procedure in the TM was quite good. Have you downloaded your TMs from this website yet?

Evvy-

kekle

Hi @kekle,

I have an MEP-804A that was difficult like this. I had to open the air bleeder ports in the fuel delivery system to get air out. Then it started. There’s an old saying though… if all you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail! In other words, just because we have the same symptoms doesn’t mean we have the same root cause. I found that the troubleshooting procedure in the TM was quite good. Have you downloaded your TMs from this website yet?

Evvy-
Thanks for the reply.
I'll see if that helps

Cecil

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start by taking your batteries out to a local auto store and have them both tested. If you dont have 24+ volts, your machine isn't going to do much of anything. They can show surface voltage, but can fail under load to almost zero amps. If you have not downloaded the TMs for this set, thats step #1. The manual ending -24 is the diagnostic manual. See screen grabs of what you really need to be zeroing in on:

1.png
2.png

When you know the WHEREs and HOWs... you will come to see that the manuals are so well laid out that working on a machine is possible for anyone.

kekle

I charged the battery all night and... it tested worse this morning.
So the question is do I buy one battery or two?
What are y'all's thoughts.

Cecil

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I charged the battery all night and... it tested worse this morning.
So the question is do I buy one battery or two?
What are y'all's thoughts.

Cecil
Good morning, Cecil,

Every purchase decision that I make is in support of my goals. Why do you have a generator? Is it critical that it operates? Over all temperatures and environmental considerations? Your goals may be different than mine or apply differently.

Another thought might be to buy one battery now and see. That would at least remove a variable in your troubleshooting process. Once you know where it stands you can decide when to buy the second battery.

Evvy-

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Optima Red Top 34/78 were the standard issue. I use 51Rs most of the time, as they will fit both 802s and 803s. Find a high quality battery that will fit in the spot and give it hell. You don't need the high cranking amps of larger batteries, due to your location. We need the high amps up here in the colder states in the winter.

Guyfang

Staff member
Batteries are probably the biggest problem the military has with its equipment. Want to get rich, sell batteries to the Army. On our HAWK site, after 1977, we were on what I would call a small hill. 510 meters above sea level. In winter, we had snow when the valleys had rain. And it got down to -25 or -30 cel. in the deep winter, no problem. AND THEN, the wind chill factor! The snow did not melt there so much. It was just blown away by the high winds. In the real bad weather, we would start all trucks every 90 min, or two hours. Even that did not keep up with the cold. So I built, with the help of one of my able thugs, a cart, with a 3 KW, DC gen set, with 4 batteries on it, so we could jump both the 2.5 and 5 Ton trucks, as well as the smaller trash haulers and gen sets. We put a draw bar on it and EVERYONE on duty at night got a chance to help pull it around through the snow. That's where I learned to hate lead/acid batteries. I had one blow up in my face, when it was frozen, and we were trying to jump start a gen set. I fell in love with Optima, Hawker and several other of the "new" generation of batteries. So my 2 cents on the whole deal is, never buy another lead/acid battery again in your life. And invest in a GOOD, SMART battery charger/maintainer. Best spent money you will ever spend in your life.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to Start a battery thread but my two cents on my personal machines not the ones i sell. Oreilly super start AGM battery economical group 34 in my area are $229 or right now SAMs club has duracell AGM 34 for $189 or agm marine $134

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks