• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep803a final hookup and first load test.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved the 803 to its permanent location , and did initial load test.

The double throw switch and sub panel in the shop worked as planned.

Loaded at 20.6A -46.12A - 54.37A.

Water temp constant at 190°, oil pressure 40psi ,Hz from 60.5 at no load to 59.5 at 54.37

I reviewed a post from KennyO dated 2017-09-17 on PF . my test load are all resistive PF-1 (240v single phase) therefore the load meter should show approx 88% at 46.12A and 105% at 54.37A. However the load meter barely went above 25% on the load meter.( no loose wires on meter, needle move from 0 to 25% at full load - tried adjusting screw very little fluctuations)

Recognizing that the 803 sat in a warehouse for extended period of time. Can I assume it's simply that the meter itself is malfunctioning?.

Thanks

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is probably corrosion in the switches, they can lead to improper readings. Have you used any sort of deoxidizing spray on the open element switches in this set? I would strongly encourage you to do so (all on the flip down panel, as well as behind the S8 wall (so you need to pop the roof).

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read about contact cleaners on the forum. And have a can of deoxit on order should be here by the weekend.

Outside Temp hovering in the -5° to - 10 °F with major snowstorm coming, should have waited a few more days before moving the 803 outside :).

Had to do major surgery to the bodywork, reinstalled mostly with rivnuts so popping the top panel won't be a major undertaking.....

What would be a recommended schedule - load%/time - for the set excercise/wet stacking?

How can I post a short video on the forum ? wouldn't mind you guys
" having a listen" to the set

Thanks

Attachments

Scoobyshep

I read about contact cleaners on the forum. And have a can of deoxit on order should be here by the weekend.

Outside Temp hovering in the -5° to - 10 °F with major snowstorm coming, should have waited a few more days before moving the 803 outside :).

Had to do major surgery to the bodywork, reinstalled mostly with rivnuts so popping the top panel won't be a major undertaking.....

What would be a recommended schedule - load%/time - for the set excercise/wet stacking?

How can I post a short video on the forum ? wouldn't mind you guys
" having a listen" to the set

Thanks
Deoxit is a magical thing that works wonders. as for the video I usually see people post to youtube and link

69birdman

Found the exact terminal on S8 for amp meter. Will have a closer look after work
Deoxit will more than likely be the cure. I've never used it but have had success with a CRC brand cleaner. My first load test ,years ago ,was about the same gauge reading, I found a N.O.S. gauge on ebay, before it arrived I sprayed the switches & exercised them BOOM gauge worked. 👍🏻20190818_161626.jpg

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran the set for 3 hours tonight split between 60% ,80% and 100% load. First time running for any length but If anything it run smoother now that it worked for an hour at 100%. . All the numbers look good at 52A.. found an old post from guyfang suggesting to close K1 before applying load, and open it after load is removed. - works well with throw switch.

Attachments

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using my 2 radiant heater, the f18h heater, and a 4800w shop heater brings me to 52 A at 240v . With added bonus that the load bank is heating the shop ;)., I added the shelter before the storm this AM and noise level is reasonable at approx 15 feet

Attachments

Last edited:

CapePrep

Engine sounds fine. I run mine with a load maybe once a month for about an hour or so. Once these things are up and running with all maintenance done, they start and run perfectly every time.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does sound OK, but you really shouldnt be running without the side door. The enclosure is designed to direct the airflow to where it needs, or the set can overheat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks