• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803A heater

dav5

Hi, I won an MEP803A at Fort Drum yesterday. It has a hose from the main rad hose to a black box and there is an extra toggle switch on the instrument panel labelled "engine _____" {I can't make out the second word in the photo}. I will try to upload a photo. I assume this is a cold weather kit. I would appreciate any info on what it is and how to operate it. I haven't seen it mentioned in Gufang's TM's but I may have missed it.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Ask, and you shall receive! Look in TM upload section, right now, or Auxiliary Equipment later.

But I cant believe I forgot to upload them. The heater was never seen here in germany, so I guess I just forgot!.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
That looks like a really good unit for that price. I would suggest you pull each battery and charge them with a AGM specific charger to bring them back to life. To have only 1.3 hours since it being reset 5 years ago.

Guyfang

Staff member
See. Once again. Never assume anything. Assumptions will always get you into trouble! Learned that at WOC, and still get into trouble!.

dav5

Howdy,
That looks like a really good unit for that price. I would suggest you pull each battery and charge them with a AGM specific charger to bring them back to life. To have only 1.3 hours since it being reset 5 years ago.[/QUOTE

I was surprised I got it for that price. I was really only looking for a parts machine for my existing 803A but the high hour machines went for 3/4 of that amount . I guess Fort Drum is a bit away from the competitive markets. I have a Noco Genius. In fact I think I bought it after reading one of your threads. I spliced the Noco lead into the slave connector. The ring fits right over the internal ring terminal. I will charge them separately on the recovery setting though.
My first experience with GL was not positive. I didn't know that I had won until 36 hours after the auction ended despite checking thoroughly. I also really didn't like the end time being extended although I knew it was in the rules again thanks to this site. Now I can't get in touch with the GL rep to set a pick up time.

dav5

What are your recommendations for trying to start a generator that has sat for 5 years and run only a couple hours on a brand new engine with break in oil in it once the routine maintenance is completed?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with the pickup. I was less than impressed with the GL onsite rep when lining up my 803A out of Drum.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

IMHO, I would pull the batteries, charge them separately, then throw them back in. Check coolant level, check the color and smell of the oil, throw some fuel in it, use the dead crank some, let it sit a minute, let it prime a good long time, check for fuel leaks, then fire it up.

Since it had only 1.3 hours of run time since the reset, all the filters and oil might be good to go.

Set something up to place a load on your unit. Since the unit is new, the bearings and rings will need to seat. The break-in oil is probably john deere break-in oil, a straight weight oil, non-detergent, with additives. You will want to run a good load around 75% or higher for a good long time.

note; the break-in oil is not your golden looking oil. It is a dark almost green tinge to it look.

Last edited:

dav5

Thanks Mike, valuable information!!
By the way how the heck did you figure out which generator I bought? You must have way better GL search skills than I do.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mike, valuable information!!
By the way how the heck did you figure out which generator I bought? You must have way better GL search skills than I do.
Howdy,
:D A MEP-803A in good condition with artic heater kit, reset, with batteries. It's funny how they had a whole matching set of older gauges to put in. The whole front panel is new, with the older style gauges.

note;
I would push the battery hold down's in, or take them out so the fork lift doesn't bend them up on you. When you pick it up.

The batteries will come back to life. Just take your time and let them hang on the Noco G7200 a while.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks