• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP806A Double Delta Single Phase

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
So the Aeon home energy meters on average are:

11 to 12 kw home excuding AC
6 to 7 kw home ac/heat
7 to 8 kw barn

So total 24 to 27kw, and these sensors don't show me startup surges when any motors turn on. I also have three mills and two lathes in the shop and other shop tools that I want to account for (welders, plasma cutters etc). We also have a 50 amp service hookup for the 5th wheel or visiting guests with motorhomes.

Granted this is winter and our home is really well insulated, we use a lot more power when air conditioners are working hard. They are operating in heat pump mode right now , not sure if that equates got he same current draw as when they are cooling.

On another good note, talked to the county and they are fine with me pulling an owner permit to replace the outside load center and install an ATS.

Scoobyshep

So the Aeon home energy meters on average are:

11 to 12 kw home excuding AC
6 to 7 kw home ac/heat
7 to 8 kw barn

So total 24 to 27kw, and these sensors don't show me startup surges when any motors turn on. I also have three mills and two lathes in the shop and other shop tools that I want to account for (welders, plasma cutters etc). We also have a 50 amp service hookup for the 5th wheel or visiting guests with motorhomes.

Granted this is winter and our home is really well insulated, we use a lot more power when air conditioners are working hard. They are operating in heat pump mode right now , not sure if that equates got he same current draw as when they are cooling.

On another good note, talked to the county and they are fine with me pulling an owner permit to replace the outside load center and install an ATS.
unless the compressors are a dual speed no, they draw the same current weather cooling or heating.

There are many ways to set this up so there isnt a singular answer.

Fast and easy use 2 legs, which gives you 208 volt

transformer delta to delta 240 volt but 2/3 capacity.

transformer wye to double delta 240 volt

transformer wye to zigzag 240 volt

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
The last two transformer options, how many kva would they need to be?

And can you show me an example of one in ebay maybe? I see tons of transformers there but in my ignorance I can't tell by looking at the data plates if they are the proper winding.

Scoobyshep

The last two transformer options, how many kva would they need to be?

And can you show me an example of one in ebay maybe? I see tons of transformers there but in my ignorance I can't tell by looking at the data plates if they are the proper winding.
Thats where things get tricky. Double delta and zigzag are not commonly used. The last time I had set one of these up they were 3 single phase transformers that we wired together

As for kva its all about the amperage you want, It wont produce more than you put in (generator is 60 kw you wont get any more than 60 out.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
That is what I am seeing also. I had my commercial electrician friend over and he confirmed our ac units will be fine at 208v (says so on the data tags and he said the water heaters and oven are restrictive and wont care a bit. So all that combined with the generator engineer telling me over the phone that the MEP-806 is fine being tapped on 2 of 3 lines with no adverse effects makes it almost a no brainer to just use it that way.

Aside from being a little inefficient in terms of fuel use, its perfect. Being that we do not have frequent outages, its an ideal solution for a great price. I am curious what fuel use will look like at say 1/2 load. Have the oil filter installed and oil filled up, tomorrow the fuel filter gets here as well as 2 new interstate batteries. Pretty excited about firing it up.

The next feat is getting it off my car hauler and onto a suitable pad, I have not decided whether to pour a pad or do something like several of those pre-cast ac pads or similar.

Scoobyshep

Do yourself a favor and get a load (a floodlight or heater goes a long way) on the unused leg.

Pad wise I would pour one, but thats just my opinion

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I thought about getting a surplus load bank so I could really load up the generator as part of maintenance to keep wet stacking issues away.

MrShawn305

That is what I am seeing also. I had my commercial electrician friend over and he confirmed our ac units will be fine at 208v (says so on the data tags and he said the water heaters and oven are restrictive and wont care a bit. So all that combined with the generator engineer telling me over the phone that the MEP-806 is fine being tapped on 2 of 3 lines with no adverse effects makes it almost a no brainer to just use it that way.

Aside from being a little inefficient in terms of fuel use, its perfect. Being that we do not have frequent outages, its an ideal solution for a great price. I am curious what fuel use will look like at say 1/2 load. Have the oil filter installed and oil filled up, tomorrow the fuel filter gets here as well as 2 new interstate batteries. Pretty excited about firing it up.

The next feat is getting it off my car hauler and onto a suitable pad, I have not decided whether to pour a pad or do something like several of those pre-cast ac pads or similar.
I have noticed that the day tanks on these units are big enough to accommodate about 24 hour run time on a tank of fuel. So my 802A 5kw has a 5 gallon tank and my 805B 30kw has a 23 gallon tank. An older thread on here referenced the TM that states fuel capacity is 43 gallons and consumption is about 5.06 gallons per hour at rated load. Hope you have a big standby fuel tank :oops: My guess is that for what you quoted as far as load, you might be somewhere closer to 3-4gph.