• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep806b, gfci issues

paddy159

I have an mep806b and a couple of 5kw green mountain generators. All have gfci's that don't trip when you push the test button. The test buttons on all three do not trip the gfci.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an mep806b and a couple of 5kw green mountain generators. All have gfci's that don't trip when you push the test button. The test buttons on all three do not trip the gfci.
What are " 5kw green mountain generators"?
And when they are not tripping? When the Generator is running and producing power or when the generator is off?

Guyfang

Staff member
Peter is on the right track here. Also remember, there are still some sets that had the OLD,OLD GFI in them. It had an inline fuse hooked to it. Also remember, that there is a reset button on the back. If its popped, then nothing will happen when you push the magic button.

paddy159

And when they are not tripping? When the Generator is running and producing power or when the generator is
And when they are not tripping? When the Generator is running and producing power or when the generator is off?
The 5kw generators are mep802a. They lasted for a few years. Cannabilized one to keep the other going. Only way I could find parts.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried testing gfci's without generator running.
Thank you. They actually have to have power for the test button to work.
But like guyfang said, if these are the old , old ones check if there is a reset button on the inside.
It also would be helpful if you could post several pictures of the control cubicle and the gfic as well. This way we can get a better feel for it if what you are looking at.
Peter

paddy159

Thank you. They actually have to have power for the test button to work.
But like guyfang said, if these are the old , old ones check if there is a reset button on the inside.
It also would be helpful if you could post several pictures of the control cubicle and the gfic as well. This way we can get a better feel for it if what you are looking at.
Peter
Yeah, we had the 806b for about 5 years already. Stored until a few days ago. They do have the reset button on the inside and yes nothing happens if the generator isn't running. Never been an issue. I just wanted to know. Only has 4 hours on it. The mep802a's are both dead. One was cannibalize for parts to keep the other running.Ran for 5 years and just quit. Plenty fuel, no tripped breakers, fuses ok, diodes look ok, at least not burnt. No power at all.
Batteries ok. Will dead crank. No ticking in any switch position.

paddy159

Yeah, we had the 806b for about 5 years already. Stored until a few days ago. They do have the reset button on the inside and yes nothing happens if the generator isn't running. Never been an issue. I just wanted to know. Only has 4 hours on it. The mep802a's are both dead. One was cannibalize for parts to keep the other running.Ran for 5 years and just quit. Plenty fuel, no tripped breakers, fuses ok, diodes look ok, at least not burnt. No power at all.
We did have to coax her to start after 5 years storage. Looked like it wasn't pumping the fuel Bled the fuel water separator and my son found a manual fuel pump not sure what worked, but it did.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the TM’s downloaded? They have the wiring diagrams to properly diagnose the electrical issues.
If the issues involve the engine / fuel injection system then we have to solicit the engine experts for help

Guyfang

Staff member
If you want help, start a thread. Did you maybe read the TM about testing GFI? And yes, you can test one without running the generator. Remove the input wires and connect them to a wall plug. Then push the test button. Or stick a wire in the "N" side of the output plug, and the other end to the ground side of the output plug. Should pop.