• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep831 help

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Got spring in and not sure if I have things adjusted right, I tried to post a video but server wont let me, I've watched videos and read all post on the ajusting but I must be missing something
The best way to share a video on here is to upload to YouTube & make it "Unlisted". Then, make a post with the link to the video.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post pictures of which hole you have the spring in?

You might try holding the actuator in the WOT position and try to start it.
If it starts then slowly release the actuator and let the governor take over and see if it continues to run.

Wh6czu

Can you post pictures of which hole you have the spring in?

You might try holding the actuator in the WOT position and try to start it.
If it starts then slowly release the actuator and let the governor take over and see if it continues to run.
I've tried that , when the motor kicks like it's going to start, the starter kicks out

Attachments

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
It's hard to tell in the video, but it did show a sign of life!

Have you tried pulling the linkage that sits in the little throttle lever & just getting the engine to start at full throttle with the thumb screw all the way down?

The starter kicking out seems strange... That why it was cutting out in the video? I don't recall exactly what tells the started relay to kick out on these. Maybe bypass that so you can keep it cranking?

Seems to me it is starving for fuel. If you disconnect the line coming from the electric fuel pump & move the switch to run, does it have a good amount of fuel flow?

Wh6czu

Have you tried pulling the linkage that sits in the little throttle lever & just getting the engine to start at full throttle with the thumb screw all the way down?

The starter kicking out seems strange... That why it was cutting out in the video? I don't recall exactly what tells the started relay to kick out on these. Maybe bypass that so you can keep it cranking?

Seems to me it is starving for fuel. If you disconnect the line coming from the electric fuel pump & move the switch to run, does it have a good amount of fuel flow?

Wh6czu

Got spring in and not sure if I have things adjusted right, I tried to post a video but server wont let me, I've watched videos and read all post on the ajusting but I must be missing something

With rod out of its seat generator does same tries to start

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The starter cutting out is due to the inverter starting to make power. A good sign! Its AC output goes to the coil of K15 the starter cut out relay.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Okay, so that rules out fuel.

Sorry if I am repeating anything here, but just putting my thought process out there.

We for sure have 1 of 3 things then. Fuel. Now, do we have air & compression?

Air should be an easy test. I see your air filter is off. Put your hand over the intake as you are cranking & see if it is sucking in as it should. That will answer if you have air.

For compression... if your pull start cord good? Most of the time with these Yanmar engines, if you can't pull past the compression cycle, it is good. That is why the decompression lever is on the valve cover. If you can't pull past it, then your good.

If all three are good, valves may be off. These are VERY finicky. I have found on some that they need to be set slightly out of spec to make up for wear.

The starter kicking out makes things more of an issue. Sometimes it takes a lot of cranking to purge air bubbles. If you can't find out why the starter is being stopped, I would wire a direct button from the battery to started solenoid so you can keep it cranking.If you don't have a momentary switch, attach a wire to the started solenoid & then you can just touch it to the battery. Make sure your switch on the generator is in run.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see you are holding down the decompression lever and cranking it. That lever is normally only used when pull starting it. Should be no need when using the starter.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
The starter cutting out is due to the inverter starting to make power. A good sign! Its AC output goes to the coil of K15 the starter cut out relay.
With this being said, what I might do myself to keep the starter from cutting out is the remove the AC output wires from the output so the starter will not see the AC power start to be made. That way you can figure out your engine issue.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can force the starter to keep cranking by disconnection the inverter output wires on the three terminals on top of the inverter. Might want to tag them so you can hook them up correctly later.

Colt beat me to it :)

Wh6czu

Okay, so that rules out fuel.

Sorry if I am repeating anything here, but just putting my thought process out there.

We for sure have 1 of 3 things then. Fuel. Now, do we have air & compression?

Air should be an easy test. I see your air filter is off. Put your hand over the intake as you are cranking & see if it is sucking in as it should. That will answer if you have air.

For compression... if your pull start cord good? Most of the time with these Yanmar engines, if you can't pull past the compression cycle, it is good. That is why the decompression lever is on the valve cover. If you can't pull past it, then your good.

If all three are good, valves may be off. These are VERY finicky. I have found on some that they need to be set slightly out of spec to make up for wear.

The starter kicking out makes things more of an issue. Sometimes it takes a lot of cranking to purge air bubbles. If you can't find out why the starter is being stopped, I would wire a direct button from the battery to started solenoid so you can keep it cranking.If you don't have a momentary switch, attach a wire to the started solenoid & then you can just touch it to the battery. Make sure your switch on the generator is in run.
Ok got fuel, its sucking air very good, and about pulled arm out of socket on the pull rope, I think compression is good,
Will wire up a jumper for the starter and check valves

Wh6czu

You can force the starter to keep cranking by disconnection the inverter output wires on the three terminals on top of the inverter. Might want to tag them so you can hook them up correctly later.

Colt beat me to it :)
Starter still kicks out, will make jumper

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Sounds like you h
Ok that didn't work, it's the starter solenoid that's kicking the starter out
So, what might be happening is with your starting kicking out, you just aren't getting enough time to get the motor started up for a "first time" start.

Sometimes when these are cold or haven't run in a while the sputter a bit & really need to keep cranking until the combustion really takes over. Colder temperature, crud build up, ect all contributes to this too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks