• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep831a conversion time!!

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a MEP 831A but the thing starts OK but then goes crazy with backfire and lots of
black smoke. Generator does put out OK for the few seconds it runs.
Do you guys have any idea what may be the problem and who would work on it?

Thanks very much for your help.
Orren

DD58

I have a MEP 831A but the thing starts OK but then goes crazy with backfire and lots of
black smoke. Generator does put out OK for the few seconds it runs.
Do you guys have any idea what may be the problem and who would work on it?

Thanks very much for your help.
Orren
Start with a topic under the generator section. Post pictures of the unit and a video. I’d start with the tm and read through the trouble shooting section. Others a lot smart then me will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DD58

Hey everyone time to add a few more photos got some more work done on the gen set. Installed a 24volt to 12volt step down transformer. It’s rated at 200watts. This will power the 2 red led panel lights as well as a usb charging port on the front I have yet to install. The charging port will be on a dc circuit breaker and I’m still waiting for a din mounted 12volt relay and my 3 way cutler hammer switch for the lights. Figured that if the power is out and it’s late at least I can see what I’m doing on the gen set. I also installed a battery isolation switch. Don’t really need it but it’s nice when working behind the panel to cut the batteries off.

DD58

Great thread !! Now that you got it updated, cover ALL the openings with hardware cloth and mouse proof it before they chew all the wiring and destroy all the hard work you did !!
That’s the next thing on my list. I have a set of paint samples coming in to find what color it is. I’m also working on sourcing stencils for all the warnings and markings to paint in after. I’ll make sure to rivet in some stainless screen and then paint it all. For now she’s safely tucked away in the garage next to my car.

Chainbreaker

That’s the next thing on my list. I have a set of paint samples coming in to find what color it is. I’m also working on sourcing stencils for all the warnings and markings to paint in after. I’ll make sure to rivet in some stainless screen and then paint it all. For now she’s safely tucked away in the garage next to my car.

I have had very good results with the Rapco paints. 383 green should be a match.

DD58

Ok so quick update rough wired In everything and have her a test. Well let’s say the cheap step down transformer well that went up in smoke lmao. Back to Amazon and got a good one coming now. Thank god for a battery disconnect!!

DD58

New update time!! Finally got the panel lights wired In. The most I might add is an 8amp fuse this will be 2 amps below the transformer limit. I thought about a relay but for such a light draw I dont think I need it. I like the locking switch from cutler hammer don’t want to give away my position by accident lol. Here’s so pics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks