• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP831A moisture in the controller

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a brief 2 hr power outage today, I did not figure it would be too long so I got out one of the MEP831As
It had been in the rain for several hours and it would fail immediately with an overload condition, before the load switch was even available

I have been told this is due to moisture in the controller, when it is dry again and I put a blower on the controller and dry it out all is well.
Has anyone ever actually fixed this issue?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure, common problem. What I typically do is start the unit and let the heat from the engine dry it out.

Its the inverter that is the problem. By controller are you referring to the inverter? There is a speed controller behind the instrument panel. That is not the source of this particular problem.

On my unit I've found that covering it with a waterproof tarp solves the problem. At some point when I am not 10 projects behind I'll remove the inverter and seal up the problem areas so it stops happening.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not get to finish, I lost power again and my big UPS batteries have gone wonky so I had to shut my PC down.
Yes I meant the inverter, sorry. This has happened before and ether running the engine or putting a fan on the inverter and drying it out usually works.
I was thinking it needed the boards re-doped

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s right. Need to make sure all the coating on the boards is good and seal up any of the unsealed pots.

running the engine for 15 or so min tend to get mine back online if I forget to keep it covered.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep a few minutes running and she is fine, I have her pulling a kilowatt or so on the shop right now.
I have one of those wifi controllers but cannot remember the IP address or password, I will have to look that up, actually I may have it on a piece of paper inside the control box, will skip out there in a few minutes and look if it stops raining, if not when I do find it I will put a note in there...

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, now I remember (after you told me):giggle:
Should also work if you unplug the connector from the side of the inverter.

For some reason, mine has only thrown this fit once, and that was when I left it literally outside, and it got rained on. Even on my patio where the joint from the house roof leaks on it... doesn't care. Even a couple weeks ago, when I had to get it set up in a torrential downpour... didn't care. And it's plenty humid here. I got a $20ish cover off amazon this summer for it, fits like a slightly-long glove.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks