• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep831a Yanmar engine repurpose

aredman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone repurposed the Yanmar out of mep831 and used for trash pump or other typical small engine uses? At the farm, we feed calves with a water trailer and thought maybe the diesel would hold up better. Thanks

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't seen the yanmar one, but the vast majority of engines designed for generator applications have a tapered crankshaft, and very few non generator attachments use that tapered shaft seat.
Most pumps and whatnot use a straight crankshaft with a keyway.

diesel engines are better in applications where they are going to be used under moderate to heavy load for extended periods of time. I don't know how long it takes you to feed/water the calves, but I'd say if it's less than about 20 minutes use at a time, then a gasoline engine is probably a better fit, as a diesel engine under light to moderate load might not even be up to operating temp for the first 10-15 minutes. Diesel is also harder to start in cold conditions compared to gasoline (just something to consider)

DD58

I have given it slot of though about putting a l100 on my old snow blower. It’s got a 7hp 1977 motor on it that needs a break. I think the l70ae would be fine but more power the better lol. I’ll see if I can get a picture of the old girl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aredman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I believe it is a tapered shaft. I see they make adapters, but never have used. Been using some cheap Briggs pumps, but pump probably runs 4-5 hours a day. And they just wear out. Quite a few calves in individual pens.

DD58

Having a taper shaft isn’t a big deal either an adaptor or get a Daytona coupler I’ve modified one for a customer to run on a taper shaft. I’d go for it. If I get my hands on one before the winter I’ll throw it on. You could always buy a different crank from Yanmar. It’s not to bad to tear it out and replace it.

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had the same curious thoughts, for the same reason. Passed a snowblower for sale in a driveway the other day, and went hmmmmmm that could be cool....

Aside from the tapered crankshaft, a couple other things to consider. Unless you want to pull start it, I don't believe the flywheel on it has a charging mag setup or VR, since the 831 is set up to charge from the PMA. And you'll either need 2 batteries or a 12V starter, unless you plan to slave it off of a MV, or pull start it.

DD58

Well I bought 831 without an inverter, so just brainstorming ideas what to do with it. Or could just fix it.
You could always ask kloppk if he is going to make any more conversion kits. Look at my posts I just finished mine with a few other mods.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I believe it is a tapered shaft. I see they make adapters, but never have used. Been using some cheap Briggs pumps, but pump probably runs 4-5 hours a day. And they just wear out. Quite a few calves in individual pens.
at 4-5 hours use a day, a diesel will definitely have the advantage over gasoline in everything but how loud it is.

DD58

Send a link sometime.

NEIOWA

I don't find the Yanmar hard to start. In cold weather, a extra few pulls to warm up the cylinder. Just go find one of the 125gpm pumps though vs converting a engine from a genset. Great little pumps.

The new Hatz engines/pumps are a better unit though. The Hatz engines are great.

DD58

If they run out of fuel, do they self prime easily, on the Yan Mar
Yeah there not bad. Well if you have an electric fuel pump. I did it to the mep831 and just cracked the line on the injector until I got fuel there and started it up. It took a few seconds then smoothed right out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks