• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEPS 806B how to turn it into a "dumb" generator

Something like a DC72D or DC60D controller for under 200 dollars could handle controls, then a suitable VR , even a 35.00 Leroy Somers clone might be able to handle the voltage and excitation. Just thoughts.

Do you have a link for a site for it? Preference?

I'm waiting for the poor fellow that owns it to get me some info on the actuator so I can make sure it's compatible.

MrShawn305

Happy NY Guy.. I will answer this fellow and one more it seems as well... We are busy here, generator work here is good and i speak of the 804B and up series. We have developed a new backplain board to replace the CIM and all the mess, this is our first one we had built so it really our prototype one but if it will pass the testing and ring out then i will have a run made and help solve good gen sets from being door stops...
i welcome trying to help most of these guys but it seems to also that most dont want to spend the dough to really fix it for the long term and that is a shame to me.. but it s also why i like to deal with cities and fire depts and the like, they have a better understanding and welcome the high reliability we can offer as well open architecture and software support.. I will make time and offer an updated report on SS soon .. as it is near midnight it looks like we have the senate race here maybe a split and not a total loss but it might be a bit longer before the vote dust settles all out.. Right now it is early, but my wife has what seems is early dimentia we are still in the testing phases's and she has a terrific attitude, so all this to say im not sure how it will effect my hobby/work but little doubt things will change...
Guy be safe and lets hope this 2021 is far better than c-19 and 2020 we have experienced..
best mac/mc
Sorry to hear about the wife, glad she's taking a good attitude toward it. I am definitely interested in what you all are working on in regards to the B series, if it comes to market.

Sorry to hear about the wife, glad she's taking a good attitude toward it. I am definitely interested in what you all are working on in regards to the B series, if it comes to market.

GCS is being helpful, much like the folks here on SS. After I talk with Bruce again at GCS, I'm going to get a "bare bones basic" governor controller for the engine, then after we get it running again and I can "check out the generator end", I'll order a system display and such for basic function/monitoring and then figure out a voltage regulator to use on it.

I'll post an update later today or very soon.

Have a safe day/week! Remember to thank a Generator Tech, he might be like the guy on the old Motel-6 ads, he'll leave the lights on for you.

Floyd

LOL, I'm about two hours from home checking out this 806B. I started "gutting" the generator to just get it to run. I've installed another governor actuator control. After verifying the fuel flow up to the injection pump, that looks good. The GC I installed has verified voltage from the mag PU during cranking. I have verified I have 24+ and a good ground to the GC I installed. It appears to have 21-23 volts going to the ADC101-24 actuator. What I do not have is continuity through the actuator on the injection pump. It reads an open circuit. I think I'm supposed to have 7.8 Ohms.Am I correct? It appears I have an open coil circuit inside the actuator on the injection pump. Is there somewhere I can get him the coil inside the actuator or a replacement assembly?

If I am correct about the actuator, if I install an new one, it should run. Then all I'll need is a Voltage regulator and then controls which I may have figured out. I'm heading home now, it's 10:22 pm EST, I've been up since 1am yesterday working on various things. Rain is forcast for the morning, 100% chance...Like we needed more rain...

Guyfang

Staff member
Pull the actuator off. Check that the wires are good to the coil. Hook 24 volts to it. Will it function? I don't know if you or someone else has had it off, but reinstalling is where lots of folks screw it up. It goes in one way, and only that one way.

How many Amps does the exciter field winding draw with a 100% load and at what voltage?

I'm looking a voltage regulator this morning.

Also, I'm looking around for an actuator also. I'm going back to the guys place this afternoon if it works out to work on pulling the actuator and seeing if it has a broken wire or something inside I can fix. I also have t work on a backhoe and a forklift too...fun stuff...

I'm wondering if it has blocking diode that might be open.

ADC101-24 and a ADC100-24, I wonder what the difference is?

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have friend that had another guy "working" on his MEPS 806B, he was "trying to wire around a problem" and it appears he blew come CAPS in the governor control board (ESD5551) and the TCM-02 board and God knows what else.

Here's what I'd like to do, or be able to do.

#1 Install another governor control module from another regular governor system that's readily available to just get the generator to run to see if the Generator end is OK. He's looking cheap.

#2 If the generator end is still good, I'd like to install a voltage regulator to regulate the voltage. I have no idea if I can use the original one or not. Aftermarket retro fit would be nice.

#3 If I can get #1 and #2 completed, I'll figure out how to get it set up for shut downs and such using what I have.

He doesn't need all the other "stuff" that came for paralleling and such. He just needs a generator that's as bare bones basic as it gets.

Any help or insight would be great.
I used a mcpherson ss460 as a replacement avr for my 805b. Worked like a charm and left all the original components in place. I placed it to the left of the voltage connection board and wired the sensing right there. Hope it helps.

Attachments

I used a mcpherson ss460 as a replacement avr for my 805b. Worked like a charm and left all the original components in place. I placed it to the left of the voltage connection board and wired the sensing right there. Hope it helps.

I'll get back up to where the MEPS is in the next day or so. As soon as I get a handle on the actuator issue, I'll order AVR. I think I'm going with an SX460 and see how well that works.

If that works, then I'll get to ordering actual controls and have a BUNCH of "leftovers" if someone wants to do some "swapping/bartering for parts".

It starting to look like he needs an Governor Actuator. I wonder what the chances are of swapping some of the "Leftovers" for one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks