• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MERDC Camo Colors

Terra1936

Anyone know if the MERDC Colors ars FS? Do you know what they are? There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many paint threads, my head is spinning!

I think like this??

M151A2-Camo.jpg

Or?

MERDCb.jpg

Or

s-l1600 (2).jpg

And if you know of any self installing paint.........

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the colors are FS and to buy any or all, just visit the Rapco.com website. All are listed.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TB 43-0147 is the manual that covers MERDC camouflage, it is in the manuals section in PDF format.

The colours are as listed in the attachements below.

The M151 in your pictures is painted Winter Verdant - Forest Green 34079, Field Drab (the brown) 30118, Sand 30277, and Black 37038

A note on FS codes -
the first number indicates sheen, 3 = flat, 2 = semi-gloss, 1 = gloss. Thus 34087 is flat OD, 14087 is gloss OD.
The second number indicates colour type, 4 is green, 0 is brown, etc. etc. Thus 34xxx is always going to be a flat shade of green.
The last three numbers are the actual shade of that colour.

Note that 34087 in the mid-70s FS595 colour chart is not the same as 34087 on the current FS595 chart! Why they couldn't have just given the new colour a new designation is beyond me, but we are dealing with the government......

Cheers

TB 43.JPGTB 43-0147 2.JPG
TB 43-0147 3.JPG

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the weird sand "island" seen below drivers windshield glass is somebody's oops. When you repaint the mutt and if you desire correctness, you might not want to replicate exactly what you have on it. I suggest you refer to the correct pattern shown for this vehicle in TB43-0209 and/or TB43-0147, I forget which has it. When searching, you should make sure it's for the 4-color patterns only. Every model of tactical vehicle, be it tracked or wheeled, had a specific pattern for its model, even within their own class. For example, all M51 trucks had a different pattern than the M54's, the pattern was also different on the common parts such as hood and doors. M817's were different than M813's. M35's had a different pattern than other model deuces. M48 tanks were patterned different than the M60's. M151's had a different pattern than everything else. Somewhere around here I have a bunch of 4-color MERDC patterns for every model truck. tank, and trailer, the manual is dated sometime around 1979. The introduction of the 3-color patterns later in the 1980's eliminated the pattern differences on common parts within each model. So, on and on the head spinning goes

Terra1936

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some in colour, including the pattern for a hard top.
The pattern always stays the same, the colours change to suit the environment.
At least that was the plan - in the Marines most of our stuff was painted Winter Verdant year round, unless we were in the desert or a snowy environment. But even at 29 Palms (desert) half the vehicles stayed in Winter camo.
In Norway in 1980, once it got snowy, we used water-based white paint and painted over the green on half the vehicles, the brown on the other half. The white came off easily later with a powerwasher.

Cheers

m151_merdc01.JPGm151_merdc02.JPGm151_merdc03.JPGm151_merdc04.JPGM151_winter.jpgM151_wintera2.jpgM151_wintera1.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks