• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meritor’s independent suspension proposal for FMTV A2

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it might be a bolt in! I wonder if the Caiman II IRS will bolt into the LMTV?
That IS the Caiman II setup. To my knowledge that is the only vehicle platform Meritor has ever sold this to. Oshkosh has the market cornered with the TAK4.

Terrh

if the caiman and LMTV frame rails are the same distance apart I don't see why that wouldn't fit. Looks incredibly universial for a suspension setup.

Wonder if these are available surplus anywhere?

scottmandu

if the caiman and LMTV frame rails are the same distance apart I don't see why that wouldn't fit. Looks incredibly universial for a suspension setup.

Wonder if these are available surplus anywhere?
I've seen several IRS setups sell on the GL site, but all were Oshkosh and drum brakes. Easter shows to have Front IRS assemblies for as much money as an LMTV. There are also rolling chassis out there but those are pricey.

There should be a glut of them available as DOD is getting rid of all the real heavy armor, Caiman included.

coachgeo

Why? More complex..., more to wear out. Also; compared to a straight axle, an IFS when you have one wheel up on something you get less pressure on the ground of down wheel, thus less traction there making that wheel more liable to slip and end up just spinning. Unless of course, this is a computerized or hydraulic valve activated suspension that senses when one wheel is up and adds some pressure to the down wheel. Nothing of that was mentioned in the video and don't see a mechanism showing in the mockup in the video that would lead one think this is incorporated.

Now then again..... this would bode well for someone building a Dakar like truck. Put in in front and rear. Rear, of course, would have to get a rear diff swapped into it instead of a front diff.

scottmandu

Why? More complex..., more to wear out. Also; compared to a straight axle, an IFS when you have one wheel up on something you get less pressure on the ground of down wheel, thus less traction there making that wheel more liable to slip and end up just spinning. Unless of course, this is a computerized or hydraulic valve activated suspension that senses when one wheel is up and adds some pressure to the down wheel. Nothing of that was mentioned in the video and don't see a mechanism showing in the mockup in the video that would lead one think this is incorporated.
Now then again..... this would bode well for someone building a Dakar like truck. Put in in front and rear. Rear, of course, would have to get a rear diff swapped into it instead of a front diff.
Front disc brakes, more wheel travel, locking diffs, taller final drive ratio, no driveshaft angles to worry about and a much better ride. Other than the cost it sounds like win win to me.

Last edited:

Terrh

After watching the video, I think with just a re-spring (which might be as easily achieved as just cutting the existing coil slightly shorter) these should work just fine on an LMTV.

Wear is probably not a factor considering the amount of miles most people put on their trucks.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Front disc brakes, more wheel travel, locking diffs, taller final drive ratio, no driveshaft angles to worry about and a much better ride. Other than the cost it sounds like win win to me.
hmm.... a locker... now that sounds interesting. Wonder if it is a selectable or not hmmm? Good point on drive line angle, though have not heard of there being any issue on the front of FMTV group.

Last edited:

rustystud

Having worked on similar units, I'm sure they use actual "bearings" or at the very least "bronze" bushings at all the articulating points. Very strong ! Also with the differential "up and away" like it is, it would be extremely hard to hurt it by ramming into a large rock or something when off-roading, and it also protects the drivelines by having them safely tucked up near the frame. As far as using a "locker" I'm pretty sure they come with the Eaton "Axle lock" unit. It's a sliding sleeve that physically locks the axle to the carrier making the unit a "Spool" . The most important aspect of this unit is the 18" of travel. That makes for a much more comfortable ride and less wear and tear on the whole vehicle. Now about having less pressure on the ground when the wheel is up. If you stop and think about it each wheel is always carrying it's load no matter where it is located unless the vehicle itself is leaning sharply to one side. So if the vehicle is travelling down the road and the right front wheel is going up and over a large bump, it still has the same amount of force on that wheel as the left side does. If we took a scale and measured each wheel you would see the load would be basically the same on each wheel no matter it's up or down position.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks