• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Messy oil change

sliderhd

So what's the secret. I have changed the oil in my MEP-803 several times and changing the oil filter is very messy. I tried just spinning it off, I've tried popping a hole in the top and bottom of the end of filter to drain it but I always end up with a large spill in the enclosure. I don't like messy!! What am I doing wrong? Whach y'all doing to prevent the oil filter replacement from leaking into the enclosure?
Lane

Did mine for the first time and put a few paper towels down and was no mess. I did wait till the oil drained fully about 30 min before changing filter. Had engine warm before changing oil. Also great tip from here. Installed a barb fitting on the oil drain plug and added a hose to drain it straight into a pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of containers lunch meat comes in that I use to put under filters or finish off draining oil in motorcycles...they aren't big but catch the little bit that comes out of the filter...I have the barb on the outside as well for the drain hooked up to a small chunk of hose to drain the case too...great mod.

Scoobyshep

disclaimer: I do not have an 803.

That being said in other possible messy oil filter change areas once i crack the filter loose i use a ziplock bag over the filter as a catch.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I bought a fitting for the oil dump (off the shelf at NAPA... threaded one side, large barb on the other) that threads right in, with black hydraulic line that allows gravity drain. I want to say it was 1/2-14... but I am going off memory here. I bought it a number of years ago.

The filter removal always dumps some oil, yet to find a way around that even after a multi hour drain.

sliderhd

Thanx everyone. I got the barb to hose to pan on floor thing, Mostly I was looking for a way to get oil filter off without spilling so much oil. Real mess. This last drain (a few days ago) I tried an old trick. I punched a hole in the top (as seen from outside of enclosure) of filter then another in bottom of filter. No help. The filter has a drainback valve so oil everywhere. Just something to look forward to next oil change.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks