• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

metal in oil pan

red devils dude

engine bearings arent ball bearings there... well I dont know what there called but how they work
is forceing oil on to a thin piece between the bearing and the crank so the meatal rides on a micropic layer of oil.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The layer of oil is the hydrodynamic wedge

volver

I added spin on oil filters today. This is the second time I have changed the oil. When I drained the oil I found metal springs in the oil. AHHHH NOOOOO!!!! They are 1/4 inch diameter coils of smooth round spring steel. The pieces total about 2 inches in length. They are cut into pieces and some smashed flat.

What are they from? I though maybe they are pieces of safety wire, but they are too thin and springy.

Any ideas

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Iirc, the last guy with spring wire in his oil found they were from his governor.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there another governor somewhere else?

welldigger

I spy springs and safety wire. I'd guess its from the injector pump. Probably the governor assembly. The governor does way more than limit the max rpm of the engine.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having never had a piston out of a deuce I'm going out on a limb here.

Does the piston oil ring have a spring in it? I know a lot of other engines do. That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the pics. I don't know how they would come out in that big of pieces without a broken piston or sleeve though.

welldigger

Having never had a piston out of a deuce I'm going out on a limb here.

Does the piston oil ring have a spring in it? I know a lot of other engines do. That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the pics. I don't know how they would come out in that big of pieces without a broken piston or sleeve though.
Hmm thats a very good question. I honestly don't know what the rings on a multifuel piston look like.

What has me intrigued is in the top right of his photo I can't tell if thats more springs or twisted safety wire. There also appears to be a chunk of something that isn't spring or safety wire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks