• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal shavings in the 208

QuickSilver

When I changed the transmission, I cracked open the 208 since I had it out anyway, just to have a look and see what kind of shape it was in. There were quite a lot of metal shavings in there, and the magnet was pretty well caked with them. I cleaned it out and slapped it back in the truck for the time being. It still works perfectly, and isn't making any noise. What do you guys think?

If I have to replace it, I'm considering swapping it out for the stronger 205, but I hear that the 205's gear reduction isn't as ideal. I would also need to figure out all the parts needed for the swap. I know I would need a different adapter, but I'm not sure beyond that.

Cucvnut

well you have 3 options. either keep the 208, build or buy a 205 but you need to bore out the 205 case to accept the bigger 32 spline (P/N 50-3202) | Advance Adapters or find a 205 that came off a th400 but you wont have as much as a low gear as the 208 only 2.00 vs 2.65. or you can find a np241 from 89 suburban it has a lower gear 2.72 than a 208. and it bolts up to the 208 adapter and cross member plus at some point you can put a slip yoke eliminator on it if you want. i did the 241 swap last month its very easy.

JUNKYARDJOHN

There was a guy on ebay that specializes in rebuilding transfer cases. I think he was in wisconson. It seems to me he was getting $350 or $400 for completely rebuilt 208s to fit t-400s. (with a warrentee) p.m. me if you're interested. (I know I stored his number some where) & that was without a core. so??? John [thumbzup]

WARWAG

I would suspect that some of our good Soldier boys and gals werent exactly easy on the transfer case shifting back into two wheel drive. They can grind away pretty good if your not patient with it. Ive done it a few times myself. I would just change the fluid (as im sure you had to) and keep running it until you know theres a problem. NP208s are pretty cheap these days. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked on GM trucks for many years and you can get NP-205 setup 1965 devorced case & direct mount 205 sm465 700r4 TH350 Th400 TH475 3l60e 4L80E trough 1991.
and the price is depending what you want.
Or after market like atlas transfer case or what ever you want to spend.
as for the NP-208 metal shaveing in it my questions is how many miles is on it.
they are not bad to rebuild them at all.
as for the th400 to mate to the 205 set up the trans in the cucv with the 208 wont work as the rear out put shaft is to short and will half to be changed out the 400 woth 208 is around 3 in or so short than the 400 & 205 setup.
Hope this will help.

QuickSilver

Aw nuts, I didn't know that the output shaft was shorter. The 241 swap sounds interesting too, but I'm guessing that will also need a swapped output shaft. Thanks for the info guys. At least now I have some things to check into.

I have a buddy of mine that has a built up 79 chevy mud truck with a big block, a th400, and a 208, and he says it's never given him any problems.

JUNKYARDJOHN

The t-400 & 205 set up is a pretty near bullit proof set up. Any of the 5/4 cucvs that had pto provisions used them. There hard to find, & kinda spendy when you do... but.. [thumbzup] John

ODdave

No the np241 is a direct swap nothing changes
Just remember the 241 PS drop is gonna have a 27 spline input Not 32 like the 400 needs. you can rob a 32 from a DS drop 241 for it though.

$50 is a good deal, 150 is pretty common around here If i where the OP i would be comfortable at $100

Last edited:

Cucvnut

Dave you can get one from an 89 surburban 3/4 ton its 32 spline bolts right in nothing changes I have pictures on my build thread its passenger drop 32 spline.