• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metalic scraping sound when making right turns

Napoleon_Tanerite

I am BAFFLED as to what could be causing this. Occasionally when I make right turns I hear a metalic scraping sound coming from the right front wheel well. This is especially apparent when the suspension is compressed during the turn (like going over a speed bump) but also occasionally occurs on level turns. I've looked all over the wheel well and can't find any evidence of something rubbing on something else, there's a uniform coat of dirt on all the surfaces down there. What else could this be? Possibly the differential?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you pull the tire off and check the status OF the rotor and pads? Did you check to see if the brake pad 'warning tab' is not starting to touch metal in an odd circumstance?

Metal on metal is pretty touch to track down. And is it a deep sound, like a heavy piece against another heavy piece? Or is it a lighter sound? Like a tin roof tearing? Lots of places to look up front.

Napoleon_Tanerite

didn't check the brakes, but no noise when going straight, and no unusual pull or pedal force when braking.

I would describe the sound as sounding like a skid plate scraping on concrete, or something scraping the inside of a wheel well.

Barrman

If a simple look doesn't find anything. Try picking the truck up by the frame and see what the extended leaf springs look like. I had a busted rear leaf spring hanger on the 715 that would make a noise I couldn't figure out until I picked it up and the axle stayed on the ground.

Are your front hubs locked in?

Napoleon_Tanerite

If a simple look doesn't find anything. Try picking the truck up by the frame and see what the extended leaf springs look like. I had a busted rear leaf spring hanger on the 715 that would make a noise I couldn't figure out until I picked it up and the axle stayed on the ground.

Are your front hubs locked in?
front hubs are not locked, though i did test and see if there was any difference with them locked or not. hubs locked and 2WD and hubs locked 4WD has no difference with the sound. It's actually happening less frequently than it was a week ago, so i'm wondering if it's wearing something flat?