• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meter's on Mep002 not working.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All 3- Meter's not functioning. Frequency meter goes to 65 hertz and stays there, shut it down and it goes to 55. % rated current meter, bounces to about 60 then back to 0, Voltmeter runs up to 110 max then back to 100. Outlet reads 120 all the time, if I move the voltage adjust it does move voltage up to 121-122, drop it to 118-119. Were do I start first, It does seem to run good, leave it at 1/2 throtle.
Bob.

jbk

you need to check the freq. with a hand held to see exactly what the engine speed is . it might be high also does pushing the trottle in and out effect the meter?. i had one that stayed pegged 65+ that someone had put the wrong transducer in. the transducer was for a 50/60 hertz. machine. i have changed a couple % load meters that that had needles just bounced and read nothing under load. try adusting the volts gauge on the face. these meters are anolog and are not spot on accurate.

Carl_in_NH

As jbk says, check frequency with external counter or throttle back and see if meter responds properly.

Load meter does not function for loads plugged into the AUX outlets - you can only test it by connecting the load to the terminal board split bolts. The meters do bounce around a bit.

Your VM is within 10% or so? It's working; tweak the adjustment screw and see if you can make it closer to what you're reading with the DVM.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, with throttle back she still is pegged all the way to 65+++, My VM does not have hertz, will get one, should I be reading on the Lugs, I get 120 on outlet.

Isaac-1

I don't know if it is the same on the MEP-002, but on my MEP-701a the frequency meter will read high or swing wildly when it is out of range on the low side too. So just because it is pegged high may not mean your engine is running too fast, also these units do not like to idle, running at idle for more than a few seconds will burn out the voltage regulator, they are designed to be started and immediately revved up to operating speed.

Ike

ps If you don't have one you may want to grab a Kill-a-watt they are handy to have as they show both volts and hz in a $20 package

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. Went out this AM and tightend all the screws in the CB, some were loose, Started her up and Hertz meter is working 1/4-1/2 throtle right on 60 htz, will PU Kill- A watt, were is a good place to purchase one. Thanks Bob.

derf

Isn't that one of the gens you should not run at anything other than full throttle?
The HZ meter should not read 60 unless you are at proper output RPM.
Or, is 1/2 throttle giving you 1800RPM?

rickf

Isn't that one of the gens you should not run at anything other than full throttle?
The HZ meter should not read 60 unless you are at proper output RPM.
Or, is 1/2 throttle giving you 1800RPM?
Full rpm puts you out of range on the high side. Mine is also right on 60 hertz at around half throttle.

Rick

derf

OK. But, less than rated RPM (1800?) is not good for VR, or so I'm told.
If you get an accurate 60Hz then you are probably right on RPM.

rickf

I don't know exactly where the governor is set on these engines but it is probably around 2200 rpm. That is why you have the frequency gauge to tell you when you are at the right speed. Frequency is a product of rpm so when you are at 60 hertz you can be sure you are at 1800 rpm. At least on a generator designed for 1800 rpm, otherwise it will be 3600 and I can assure you that these engines would not like that much!

derf

For synchronous generators, it is simple.
If the gen head is a two pole, it needs to go 3600 to give 60Hz.
If the gen head is a four pole, it needs to go 1800 to give 60Hz.
..............six pole..................1200.......................................

A MEP-016B head, for example, has 3 two pole windings and can therefore give 3 phase 60Hz power at 3600RPM. 3 two pole windings = six wires.

A "12 Wire" gen head has 3 four pole windings. The "12 Wire" heads are good because you can connect the 12 wires in different ways to get different outputs, like single or 3 phase.

You have the frequency gauge because different loads and conditions (temp, altitude, etc.) affect the engine RPM. You can set the engine speed to give 60Hz (1800RPM) at sea level and then move to Denver and you'd be off. Most 120V things will run on anywhere from about 108 to about 135 Volts. Cheaper generators don't adjust. Very expensive gens adjust speed automatically. MEP gen sets give you the ability to manually adjust Voltage and Frequency to get good 120V 60Hz output.

Last edited: