• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meyer 24 volt snowplow install

Flow

Hey guys, Ok so the weather is starting to turn on us here and i figured i better get the plow finished up. The truck side mount and lift frame and all the control harness are done.

Now for my questions since i dont wanna cook a brand new 24 volt pump lol.. For the power for the joystick control i need 24 volts. Im pretty sure there is a spot in the fuse panel that is 24 volt correct?? or should i run it to the power block bar that is 24 volt behind the rear battery? It does have a 25 amp fuse inline for the controller.

And for the power for the pump itself, At first i was planning on tying into the slave plug.. But cant find a connector and the wires for it look in rough shape, so im just gonna run new 2 gauge wire.. ..... Now should i hook the positive and negative up to those distribution blocks behind the battery? or to the batterys directly?

And the starter solenoid for the pump needs to be grounded i beleive, Can i just ground it to the core support or fender? of being that its 24 volt do i need to ground it right back to the battery?

Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use the buss bar for 24 volt positive and negative for the pump motor and the controller.

Chassis ground is fine for the pump relay.

Keith_J

I would recommend a circuit breaker for the positive lead. You should be able to find a 150 amp circuit breaker at your local auto parts store. At 24 volts, it is good for at least 4 Hp electric motor.

Yes, there is a 24 volt connection on the fuse block. I wouldn't use that since it provides input for the voltmeter. It is also unswitched. I would use a relay which energizes 24 volts to the controller with the ignition switch. Most any relay designed to switch 12 volts will be fine with 24 volts at half of their rated current. A 40 amp relay will do you fine for the controller.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen a CB on any electric plow motor supply.

As for the controller power, it does not need to be "keyed" power. You could add a relay as Keith suggested, to switch 24v with a 12v ignition switched input(available at the fuse block or under the hood).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, plow pump motors do not use them. It's like a starter motor. You don't have protection on your starter motor, do you?

The control supply can be fused, it is tiny.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks