• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michelin VS Goodyear 16.00r20 Which is better? Costs less? Lasts? any discussion?

JW7tonWY

I am looking at the 2 tires commonly available and wondering is there any difference? can you mix and match? Why is it I can find the Goodyear's to buy new but not the Michelin's and so on. I recently got my mk23 and want to get it fixed up with a set of tires of similar quality. The ones that it came with are not bad, however I dug some hunks of metal out of one of them that kind of look like shrapnel so maybe they are going to fail on me one has slices in the side walls too. Any discussion on this would be appreciated.

JW7tonWY

I also scored these for spare maybe better then 50% tread left. Thanks to another JonM934 I have two spare rims with 10-20% tread tires on them for spares, trying to decide if I want to remount the used Michelins on the rims and hold the other tires, put the Goodyear on a rim and keep it on the truck or mount it on the truck or try to get another Goodyear at least...any comments please.3375827_14843_0_0002.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Goodyear AT3s are the newest model. Around 40k mileage expectations. They do take road damage a lot better than the XZLs. On average s steer XZL would get 2 or 3 blemishes every trip to the north east. I had one at final count had 13 side wall gashes. The AT3s after 35k miles on the steer axle had zero sidewall marks and only small stress cracking between the treads that the Goodyear engineers said was normal after inspection of the tires inside and out.

XZLs are more aggressive. AT3s are a stiffer compound. They are also wider than an XZL but .5in shorter.

XZL tires tend to bead crack badly. Even new ones that have been aird up on wheels doing nothing.

New old stock XZL can be 03 and newer
AT3s are generally 13 and newer

Goodyear At2s are mostly old stock. They are a dreadful compound and they egg shape often. Try to avoid those.

We have the unicure RCL remolds that are a XZL pattern. They even have a 4yr warranty. @Russ Knight is running them on his m923.

Xzl vs at3

Attachments

Last edited:

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The side gashes (slits) are bad. I have had a couple tires fail from them. I would recommend replacing the tires as soon as you can. Micha had one fail too. You can drive on a tire with side gashes for a few miles at low speed but on the freeway it only takes about 50 miles before a major failure occurs.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goodyear AT3s are the newest model. Around 40k mileage expectations. They do take road damage a lot better than the XZLs. On average s steer XZL would get 2 or 3 blemishes every trip to the north east. I had one at final count had 13 side wall gashes. The AT3s after 35k miles on the steer axle had zero sidewall marks and only small stress cracking between the treads that the Goodyear engineers said was normal after inspection of the tires inside and out.

XZLs are more aggressive. AT3s are a stiffer compound. They are also wider than an XZL but .5in shorter.

XZL tires tend to bead crack badly. Even new ones that have been aird up on wheels doing nothing.

Goodyear At2s are mostly old stock. They are a dreadful compound and they egg shape often. Try to avoid those.

We have the unicure RCL remolds that are a XZL pattern. They even have a 4yr warranty. @Russ Knight is running them on his m923.

Xzl vs at3

They are great tires. Very pleased with them.

JW7tonWY

Xzl vs at3
Thank you this is good info.

JW7tonWY

The side gashes (slits) are bad. I have had a couple tires fail from them. I would recommend replacing the tires as soon as you can. Micha had one fail too. You can drive on a tire with side gashes for a few miles at low speed but on the freeway it only takes about 50 miles before a major failure occurs.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
So far I have three and they are pretty tight, mere slits about 3-4 inches long in one area like gills on the sidewall. I will have to get off my but and get the socket I need for them lug nuts now.

JW7tonWY

I notice in other areas people talking about the 35-45 MPH lope or how ever you would describe the wobble as the truck transits that speed range. I felt somewhat assured that apparently they all do this, Prior to that I was convinced I had a tire that was wonky.

Has any one noticed if that goes away with a load? and if so how much of a load?

I plan to build living quarters on my truck some day and if the knowledge that x number thousand pounds smooths out the ride was out there would be nice to know.

MTVR

I notice in other areas people talking about the 35-45 MPH lope or how ever you would describe the wobble as the truck transits that speed range. I felt somewhat assured that apparently they all do this, Prior to that I was convinced I had a tire that was wonky.

Has any one noticed if that goes away with a load? and if so how much of a load?

I plan to build living quarters on my truck some day and if the knowledge that x number thousand pounds smooths out the ride was out there would be nice to know.
We have experienced it. I think I may have even started a thread on it somewhere...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks