• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michelin XZL vs Michelin XML vs Michelin XL vs Goodyear AT-3A vs Goodyear AT-2A any others that are 14.00 or larger that are any good?

Superthermal

1639897746611.png1639897848238.png1639898559708.png1639897491445.png1639897628504.png
Which is the best off-road tire? Snow, Mud. Longest lasting on-road? Any of these have fatal flaws like cupping, seperation issues etc... that need to be looked out for? Did I miss one that is an off-road specific tire?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had all of these.

My preference for a truck that is primarily a toy is the AT3 in 16.00.

If you're doing primarily off road and heavy, the XML in 395/85/R20 is good choice.

14.00s are getting scarce and expensive. Choose 16.00's or 395's.

16.00's rob the bottom end noticeably. But if you have that big cam 400 that's much less of an issue.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The continental HCS is available in 395 & 1400 and is comparable to an XZL

There are also Pirelli PS22s in 1400

Sprucy636

The continental HCS is available in 395 & 1400 and is comparable to an XZL

There are also Pirelli PS22s in 1400

Might be a specific question, but since I’m already down two tires on my first journey into this world, any thoughts on which of those two tires is better? Or any other location to get new 1400s from?

Last edited:

dilligaf13

Those Pirellis DOT date code is 2016. The Continentals listed DOT date code is 2018. I've previously asked on SS about the Pirellis and no one seems to have much information or experience on having run them on a truck. From what I've heard the Continentals tread depth isn't as deep as some other 14.00s and they wear a little faster but nothing really bad about them. I recently purchased NOS Michelin XZL but like any of the Michelins they have an older date code of 2009. The 14.00 Michelins are getting much harder to find, especially in good shape, hence why a lot of guys are switching to the 16.00 and 395 tires. If I hadn't come across this set of Michelins I found I was going to buy a pair of those Pirellis and test them on my truck.

tpiekbp

Superthermal, I cant speak to the continental or pirelli tires...but I've had quite a bit a time with several others.

First, I will say I love the look of the Goodyear MVT and don't have any complaints with them so that is what I run on my current truck. They look a lot like the XZL, which performed well and I enjoyed having on my last deuce. Both get a thumbs up.

I will say, i hated the XML and XL tires. I just always had bad luck with them. Most often it was an issue with getting the little mesquite shrubs here in NM poking through the tire between the knobs of the tread.

Last, my favorite tire for overall reliability has been the AT2a. Not super aggressive, almost more like a skid steer or loader tire but they ran down the highway and preformed fine for me. Just not the coolest tread pattern.

All just my two cents!

ohsmily

Bumping this old thread...what about these (link below)? Anyone have any experience? Will these fit a standard M939 rim (specifically a M923A2 in my case)? They look like a great option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks