• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michigan area tires?

Heath_h49008

Anybody know of some good local salvage locations that might have a source on 395-85 r 20s or FMTV wheels? I'm looking at deuce driving distance from the Michigan-Indiana border.

Tires don't have to be new... in fact I would prefer 50% tread. I keep seeing you southern guys and the dude in Canada selling them for $50-$100 a shot...( to bad they would cost a small fortune to ship...) and can't help but think these are going market rates, but I just haven't found a local source.

Not buying immediately... spring at the earliest. But the FMTV wheels should be found with the tires and I know someone looking for them as well.

Thanks for any advice in case I'm walking into a briar patch. What to look out for, shady dealers, etc.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Small fortune to ship? Looking at four tires on a pallet from us would only run $158-168 in freight.

Heath_h49008

Wow... I was way off on the shipping quotes. I was getting listings of $800-no joke-$2000 to ship 1500lbs on 2 pallets. That's truck freight? I've never had to ship without fortune 500 company price discounts.

Thanks for the info!! I'm trying to budget my truck related purchases and figure out what is a deal vs going rate vs high.

Am I correct in estimating a max of 3-4 tires per pallet? Is there a significant savings picking up at the terminal?

Thank you all for the advice. I have been searching, but knowing how fluid rates can be, as well as how the tire market can fluctuate, I felt it better to ask than assume.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes it's truck freight. 4 tires will fit on a pallet, but for 6 tires you'd split it 3 and 3. If you don't have a commercial address, terminal pickup will save you about $100 vs. the cost of residential freight. But the quote is typically the same on a terminal vs. commercial shipment.