• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Middle axle out of alignment

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry I didn't give a more detailed way to inspect, I was short on time. I would start by taking a pry bar and moving each and every dog bone to see if the bushing lets go or shows dry rot. You can also have issues with the trunion itself. There are nuts under those covers that can backoff and let the trunion shift. That is BAD! if you jack the truck up and the trunion moves at all You need to pull the caps and see if you can tighten them up.

TexAndy

I rolled it back and forth in a straight line and the axles are lined up again.

Checked the dogbones and none were bent. The bushings were pretty dry rotted looking tho. On second thought, that may have been cracked paint. I'll look again. Didn't try to move the dogbones around tho, I'll try that next too.

This may seem like a dumb question, but is it only supposed to have upper dog bone supports on one side? At first I thought it was just missing from the other side, but I checked my other trucks and they all only have upper DB links on one side, too. Looks that way on rmgill's pics, too.

I'm really at a loss as to what was causing the truck to make that whine noise starting at 38mph unless it was just road noise from some of the rear tires being so worn.

Maybe I'm just looking for trouble where there isn't any. On the plus side, I'm getting alot of great info from you guys on deuce maintenance, so that's cool.

Last edited:

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Gimp....don't you have a picture of how to check the axle alignment without having to jack it up???? :mrgreen:

motomacguyver

So, not to Hijack this thread, and being a newb; (bear with me) It looks like the bottom dog bones keep the axels tied to each other, and keep all the weight from being on one wheel (self equalizing). And the top dog bones prevent the axels from twisting under torque from the driving force? This means that the wheel travel may only be 6” each, but relative to each other it may be 24”? (Around the pivot point of the bottom dog bones)

Therefore, to move the axels apart, as in bigger tires, (larger than 395’s and keeping 6 wheels) not only a lift kit, but 6 longer dog bones and longer leaf springs and intermediate driveshaft, would be required? I know there is a post on this, and I searched, but could not find it.

Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

My truck is experiencing the same affect. I turn pretty tight in to where I park my vehicle and noticed the axle shifted. I have been driving the vehicle for a couple days hoping it would realign. So far it has not. I will try the tight circle thing.

Thanks for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks