• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might Be Buying, Want Tips

First of all, I am a new member to this forum and also very young so please don't get mad at me and just help if I have done something wrong or happened to neglect something. To the point, I have been watching GL for a M35A2 close enough to me and I have found one that is in running and driving condition that I think could make the 2-3 hour drive back home. What I need help on is that the truck is described as having a Hercules 6cyl diesel, not a multifuel. I am assuming that this means that the engine is either a converted multifuel from bypassing the Fuel Density something (whatever it is :-?...), that the original engine was replaced with an engine that was and is a straight diesel, that the engine is simply mislabeled, or something else. It would be nice if it is the multifuel engine but if it isn't it would at least be nice to know what it is and if it is any good. Also, if you guys can figure out what engine it is, it would be cool to know if the turbo on it is the "Whistler" or not!

If more information is needed, just post to tell me so though I might not be able to help as the truck is labeled as "MFG or YR Unknown" and I obviously do not own it yet either. The VIN/ID No. is given but I will not post that unless requested.

Thanks!

Jeepsinker

From what everyone that buys from GL says, do not expect to be able to drive it home. If you are mechanically skilled then bring lots of tools and fluids, if not, bring a truck with a flatbed gooseneck trailer. Also, go and preview the truck if possible bring two batteries because they are always dead and see if it truly does run and how well it runs. The Hercules engine is multifuel no matter what it says, as are Continental and White engines. If it does run let it build air pressure and see how the brake pedal feels. If it is spongy or excessively hard you will not be driving it home. At least not safely. Good luck man, let us know what happens. I'm on the hunt for another deuce myself right now.

mcmullag

You have much reading and studying to do grasshopper. I was on here for about 7 mnths before I bought a vehicle from a fellow SS'er in 2006 and we are still close friends. Hercules, Continental, and White, all built the multifuel. See if you can find a SS to visit in your area that has a deuce. See if any MV clubs in your area. Best of luck. I have owned two deuces and now into the 900 series 5 ton. 010.jpg I still have a friend's deuce here that I painted for them and store and maintain. 002.jpg

Thank you to both of you for the information and tips!

@Jeepsinker: I have decent mechanical knowledge though I am always eager to learn. I also have a grandpa who has worked very knowledgeably on basically everything from kitchens and cars to large trucks and giant cat dozers. I do not have access to a flatbed or truck capable of towing such a thing nor do I have the cash to hire a company for that purpose so driving it back is crucial to me. I have found some of the guides on what to bring to make a dead Deuce drivable but it would be nice to know how much of that stuff could be skipped for costs sake since this one is shown in a video running and moving (if that means much :( ). And on the topic of bringing things, you talked about bringing batteries to a preview, I'm assuming that is somehow allowed as you seem to have done that but is it actually known to be allowed?

@mcmullag: I will be trying to find clubs and such in my area myself of course but do you immediately know of any such thing in the Vancouver, Washington (and surrounding) area? My only problem with trying to visit a club or person though is that I am still in Highschool which just started again in my area (that will probably say something about how young I am as well :) ).

Anyone know if in Washington a Deuce requires a CDL (and/or anything similar) or not?

Sorry if I am asking a lot of questions...

Sorry for any delay in response but the forum somehow seemed to lose my original response right after it told me that it just had to be approved before it would show. I will be getting my original response replicated as soon as I can.

Thank you for the tips and information! Here it is I think:

@Jeepsinker: I am decently skilled in the realm of mechanics and eager to learn. I also have a grandpa who is highly knowledgeable in mechanics and has worked on just about anything you can think off. I have no access to any form of flatbed or vehicle capable of towing such a thing nor do I have the money to afford hiring a company to bring the truck to me. I have read up on a couple of the guides for what to bring to get a Deuce home but I from my estimates, that could easily be several hundred dollars. Considering that the truck is shown in the video to be running and driving (if that means much...) and since I live within about 2-3 hours of the truck (straight down I-5), what might a revised "must take" list look like (trying to keep cost down)? And on the topic of what to bring, is a person actually allowed to bring batteries to a preview and tinker around with the truck? With all my talk of driving home the truck, do you know if a CDL or any other similar thing is required to drive a Deuce in the state of Washington (I have checked everywhere short of asking the State Patrol)? And thanks for clarifying on the engine!

@mcmullag: I will be searching for clubs and members in the area and have already checked the member map today. If you know of anyone else in the Vancouver, Washington area it would obviously be nice to hear from you. Thank you as well for clarifying on the engine.

Sorry if I am asking a lot of questions. Probably a lot more to come soon.

Here it is I think:

@Jeepsinker: I am decently skilled in the realm of mechanics and eager to learn. I also have a grandpa who is highly knowledgeable in mechanics and has worked on just about anything you can think off. I have no access to any form of flatbed or vehicle capable of towing such a thing nor do I have the money to afford hiring a company to bring the truck to me. I have read up on a couple of the guides for what to bring to get a Deuce home but I from my estimates, that could easily be several hundred dollars. Considering that the truck is shown in the video to be running and driving (if that means much...) and since I live within about 2-3 hours of the truck (straight down I-5), what might a revised "must take" list look like (trying to keep cost down)? And on the topic of what to bring, is a person actually allowed to bring batteries to a preview and tinker around with the truck? With all my talk of driving home the truck, do you know if a CDL or any other similar thing is required to drive a Deuce in the state of Washington (I have checked everywhere short of asking the State Patrol)? And thanks for clarifying on the engine!

@mcmullag: I will be searching for clubs and members in the area and have already checked the member map today. If you know of anyone else in the Vancouver, Washington area it would obviously be nice to hear from you. Thank you as well for clarifying on the engine.

Jeepsinker

Never had that happen! Make sure you read the forum rules, don't use cuss words! Kinda childish, I know, but this is a family friendly forum. Don't know if that's the cause but that's all I can think of.

Dipstick

This is a Whistler

Hi. Good luck with the process. Here is a picture of my new Whistler turbo. The silver section is the exhaust turbine. The exhaust turbine on the "D" non-Whistler turbo is thicker and and doesn't have as much of scroll look to it. Sorry I couldn't make it smaller. I'm having Windows 8 issues.New Whistler Close Up.jpg

As Jeepsinker has said, very nice Whistler Dipstick! I have read the forum rules and am in the first place quite respectful as well as the fact that I myself do not prefer at all to cuss. None of my attempts to post a full response have gotten through for about 18 hours now...

What I have been trying to post:

Edit: FINALLY!

Jeepsinker

You can get what you need for recovery( minus tools ) for about 260 bucks. You need a couple of gallons of 15w40 motor oil, a five gallon bucket of gear oil is what most suggest( cost me $65 at advance auto parts) but you may get away with only a gallon or two. You need a fluid pump($15 or so) to get fluid into trans, t- case, and diffs if they are low. Couple gallons of diesel specific antifreeze (arguable) or distiller water. You should have an air hose with tire inflator and gladhand connector for airing low tires, also a tire pressure gauge. Bring at least a quart or two of D.O.T 5 brake fluid ( not 5.1). Fuel filters should be available at napa too. Those are very important. Bring a 1.5" socket and accompanying tools to change a tire if need be. Oh, and bring every standard tool you can muster including vicegrip pliers in case you blow a brake line. May be a good idea to bring some pieces of assorted size heater hose, air hose, and hose clamps to, as well as hose splices, and emergency hose repair tape. Seems like a lot to have to bring, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. Oh, batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks