• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might be time for a new project!? To sell or keep current truck? Your thoughts....

Duckworthe

I think that if I was going to go for any of those levels of changes or a combo of any of them I would just go with a different chassis all together. As far as these trucks go, I have no real issues with them. But then with the last truck I might have been very lucky and got one in really good condition. I think however, on the next truck I may go with an international chassis. One like the forestry service uses as 6x6. I'm sure they have there own issues also. I don't think there is any truck out there that doesn't have its own issues. I know the fords on base, I think 700 series, all have serious issues. We have 8 of them that are less then 2 years old and they all have issues as far as the Cummins engines. Always going into limp mode trying to get them back to base between San Diego and Camp Pendleton. I never find out why they have issues but they are turning them all back over to Ford and getting something else. We have had them for less than 14 months! Now I'm not saying that Cummins are bad engines, just saying these ones are having issues. The Cummins in my 2012 Dodge dually is nothing but amazing. I don't think I will find a perfect truck that will do everything well. But if I can find one that does many things well its probably the best I can do.

Aernan

On paper the Unimog looks perfect but they are very expensive and finding parts in USA could be hard (I don't know). The LMTV looks to be an ideal platform because it is so simple and domestic parts are currently widely available. I have no fondness for any particular diesel engine so swaps are not in my future. The fully automatic transmission is something I really love because it does simplify things a bunch.

I would lockers if possible. After some offroading last weekend the 1st seemed low enough to crawl up anything so no high low transfer case is required. It would be better to have much lower RPM at highway speeds and higher overall factory highway speeds. I will be doing the high speed gear mod which I believe will resolve that issue for me. Having coil springs would make the suspension more compliant but parabolic springs are almost as good. They could also give more articulation but I have not managed to cross axle the LMTV on first trip offroading. It may not be needed.

All other mods I will be doing improve fuel or longevity. That said retrofitting anything from the cat C7 back to the 3126 or 3116 may also be a good idea.

snowtrac nome

The problem with the cummins engine isn't the engine, the base engine is reliable the problem is the crap emmissions system, and the fact that the manufactures are required to make it go into limp home mode so you don't drive it with the cel on. the emissions systems were rushed into production to meet unrealistic expectatios from the epa And all manufactures are having issues with their dpf and egr systems.

snowtrac nome

I think that if I was going to go for any of those levels of changes or a combo of any of them I would just go with a different chassis all together. As far as these trucks go, I have no real issues with them. But then with the last truck I might have been very lucky and got one in really good condition. I think however, on the next truck I may go with an international chassis. One like the forestry service uses as 6x6. I'm sure they have there own issues also. I don't think there is any truck out there that doesn't have its own issues. I know the fords on base, I think 700 series, all have serious issues. We have 8 of them that are less then 2 years old and they all have issues as far as the Cummins engines. Always going into limp mode trying to get them back to base between San Diego and Camp Pendleton. I never find out why they have issues but they are turning them all back over to Ford and getting something else. We have had them for less than 14 months! Now I'm not saying that Cummins are bad engines, just saying these ones are having issues. The Cummins in my 2012 Dodge dually is nothing but amazing. I don't think I will find a perfect truck that will do everything well. But if I can find one that does many things well its probably the best I can do.
Be advised that the international ford and other commercial awd systems are added on not built from the factory that way and down the road parts could be hard or impossible to find. Especially things like drag links that may have been modified for the awd conversion, the other thing I have noticed about commercial awd trucks is their ride is terrible when compaired to the fmtv trucks I have been in a few that ride worse than 5 tons.

Duckworthe

I have driven an older Unimog 404 and almost purchased it. Except it topped out at 45mph. The newer ones are amazing but to much $$$,$$$.$$. I have spoken to and met a few guys with the newer Unimogs and they to are not fast and are expensive. They call them "fast tractors" and they are right. I do think the FMTV trucks are great trucks! I loved mine and have only one complaint, How long it takes Neihoff to provide parts to my repair shop. My buddy owns the shop and is San Diego's certified military repair center for the military alternators. It tool them 3 months to get the parts from Neihoff to fix an active duty truck in Camp Pendleton! I was down for a month getting it repaired as I purchased a parts alternator from a forum member that had what I needed to basically take two junk units and make one good unit. But again, I cant knock these trucks overall. As for the High speed gears, I climb mountains everywhere I travel and don't want to go faster down the flats and slower up the mountains. I was happy with the 62mph speeds on flats and 35-40 up steep grades. I did however feel a huge rolling resistance drag when I put the new tires on the truck with run flats in them. Wow I can say that the run flats weigh about 80lbs each more then just my regular beadlock rims. I could feel the truck working harder to roll them. Anyone who has an FMTV that is running well will have a great platform to build an RV even if its just a camper on the rear!

Duckworthe

The problem with the cummins engine isn't the engine, the base engine is reliable the problem is the crap emmissions system, and the fact that the manufactures are required to make it go into limp home mode so you don't drive it with the cel on. the emissions systems were rushed into production to meet unrealistic expectatios from the epa And all manufactures are having issues with their dpf and egr systems.
I will agree with that! it usually was the emissions now that I think back.

Aernan

ok this is the whole diesel exhaust filter regen stuff. I saw a video youtube talking about all the bad things that can happen if regen does not work or there are leaks in the system. Sounds like a huge nightmare.

Duckworthe

No I didn't do any engine mods except tp adjust the throttle cable at the engine to give full throttle. It needed adjusted about 1/4 inch. Stock size tires, just changed fronts from Mich XML with out run flats to Goodyears with run flats. They are just so much heavier a tire. I can stand my old tires up from flat on the ground. With these run flats, not possible by myself! My speed was read off my speedo, verified on my phone app, and bounced off my GPS. So.....62mph is verified in my book. And I would bet that if you got my truck into space it would only orbit the earth at 62mph!!!! HAHAHA

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So can you tell us about your rv set up. what you liked, what you don't, and what you would change if you were to build another m1078. Seems about everyday a new person shows up on steelsoldiers wanting to build an RV out of a FMTV/LMTV. A good opportunity to share some lessons learned on your build. Also I'm jealous of all the glamis trips. Been there once with a buggy many years ago.

Duckworthe

So can you tell us about your rv set up. what you liked, what you don't, and what you would change if you were to build another m1078. Seems about everyday a new person shows up on steelsoldiers wanting to build an RV out of a FMTV/LMTV. A good opportunity to share some lessons learned on your build. Also I'm jealous of all the glamis trips. Been there once with a buggy many years ago.
What would I do differently....... Ill start by saying I love my truck just as it is. But with any small space, you give this up for that and you just cant put everything into that small space. I liked the sloped rear as I needed it to not drag the truck down every dune and or wash ledge. However, If you stick to the roads you don't need it. You lose a tremendous amount of storage having the sloped rear. Also, because of the sloped rear and 4 foot overhang past the frame, you need to figure that pulling a trailer might be out of the question unless you have a long trailer tongue. I can pull a trailer but if I have a truck on the trailer and go though a steep ditch the front of the truck could hit the rear of the RV. I would also stat with a longer chassis, that's why I'm going to do the 6x6. I live in mine full time right now. Its good for me but if you have a wife of GF that is used to living in a house 16 foot isn't enough room. On that note, If they think it is small at first comment then stand by. They are not going to later say" actually it is bigger then I thought!" It is only going to get smaller and tighter in their minds. But as I said from the beginning, I built this truck for me, Not my ex, Not my future GF's. This is my home and if they don't like it they can keep walking. It works great for everything I use it for. The speed is fine. I am not going to chase 10 mph by throwing cash at it. IMHO that's what you will do. They already have drive line issues the way they are now, Now spin everything faster and see what happens over time. For those who have I hope only success for you. I don't need to go faster then 62. Drive shafts- Just get them rebuilt and don't risk the damage. Its not that much money. people always ask me how much does it cost to drive and maintain this huge thing and my answer to them is a question "how much do you spend on your home, cars, trucks, bikes, hobbies? what does it matter? If you have to worry about dropping money for the fuel, California is just under $4 per gal, then you might not want to drive a huge truck and stick to the PRIUS. As most on here know, if you stop the truck everyone wants to talk to you about it! If I am getting fuel and just standing there anyway I don't mind talking. But then you have your blinker on and trying to switch lanes and people drive next to you and video the truck and you cant get over its a bit annoying. And yes it happened every trip. If it happens and they are going to make me miss my exit, I just push over into their lane a bit and they get the picture that I'm coming over whether they are there or not! LOL this comment is in Jest, so please take it that way. If you want to build one, Go For It! But please make sure your truck runs soundly before dumping money into a camper build. I have spoken to many who really haven't driven the truck and started to build the camper first. Questions- What if the truck has serious issues? What if the truck starts falling apart under your camper? What if you finish the camper and then you drive it and think "wow this is a slow truck. Or I don't think this truck is what we really wanted or need. Drive your truck a while first and see if it really fits the bill or is it just a really cool thing? Cuz it is a really cool thing and many times Cool things are not the best answer or fit. Be very honest with yourself. Are you really going to do the repairs on this truck? Can you really become an electrical expert broke down in the side of the road with a angry wife and kids yelling at you? I can do this stuff. But I've been working on cars trucks and two story tall diesel engines on ships my whole career. Just be really honest with yourself. Do you already have a car or pickup in the driveway that you cant get running? Do you cry when having a car towed? (having this truck towed could bankrupt you!) Again, If your truck is sound mechanically, build it and have a blast! Whether you put a tent in the bed or build one like mine or even better, the best ones out there are the ones who are doing it and using it and having fun along the way!! Who cares what someone thinks about how yours looks or whether you are just sleeping under the tarp. I have found this to be good rules to follow- 1. build it the safest you can. 2. Only spend what you can afford. Don't go into debt building something that you may not get your money out of. Its only worth what someone will give you cash for later on. 3. Good luck building it to last forever, here is a secret, It wont. I see it like this, You spend $4000-15000 for a broken truck and fix it and put on a $20000 and up camper on it. What will it be worth that when you decide to sell it if you do? To the bank its worth nothing except what someone is willing to take out a personal loan for. Bank wont loan toward it because its not built by a known RV builder. It doesn't mean your is inferior to the RV makers out there. contrary, It is probably made better. Its just the way it is. Well I've rambled on long enough. These word or just my opinions. Please do what you want and have fun and be safe while doing it! I didn't make mine to sell for huge $$$$ down the road or to make it a business. I like to keep my hobbies fun and my work, well, work. Have a great day

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks