• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might buy a Deuce. opinions please.

JT Wood

Hey guys, first post. :naner:

This site is awesome. I think in the next 6 months, I will need to buy a truck to haul my equipment.

I move a 20'000 lb telehandler as well as a snorkel lift. (seperate trips) currently I pay about $500 to move the pair from job to job. Originally the plan was to pick up a single axle tractor with a fifth wheel. Then I remembered an old dream. to own a m35.

A little about my situation.

1. I'm in Canada so I either have to import one from someone, (probably eastern surplus?) My cost to my door will likely be about $15-16k for a nicely refurbished one. What does a government refurbish mean anyway? I have my eye on an m275 (fifth wheel version)

2. There is a local m35a2 that is imported and registered already, supposedly has about 6000 miles since a government refurbish. (originally a reserve truck) It has super singles, but I'd need to use a tag trailer with a pintle instead. I'm ok with this, I haven't purchased a trailer yet.

3.I think it might be a good approach to incorporate the truck into the image of my company. (I build quonsets and pole barns) I could enter parades, have pictures on the website, and with a logo'd deuce on the highway, it's sure to make people remember me. I'm not sure if it brings the right kind of attention, but it will get attention nonetheless.

4.my usage would likely be 400-500 miles a month. probably 100-200 mile trips towing 25'000lb. then park for 2-3 weeks.

My concerns are..
1.this thing is huge.
2.Is it going to be a reliable performer day in and day out? I currently drive a 1969 fj40 in the summer, so I kind of understand the need to piddle with things occasionally, but as a work truck, I need it to be dependable,especially when I'm 200 miles from home.

3. Does it have the power to do this? I'm ok doing 55 -60 mph cruising But I don't want to have to put on the flashers and drop to second gear everytime there is a slight incline in the road. (the horsepower is around 150?)

4.The Brakes. I understand these have single circuit air over hydraulic brakes, I need to get a strict DOT inspection annually. Is there a kit to convert to a dual circuit, or maybe straight air brakes? I think a single circuit is legal, but the DOT hates it.

5. Steering. Are these driveable without the power steering? I don't expetct to have to do much manuvering, it's mostly highway. Are they prone to sloppy wandering steering?

6.Actual driving. I've read that these trucks are brutal to drive. they are loud, smelly and uncomfortable. Truth be told, that is part of what appeals to me, but is this going to kill me on a 4 hr drive? i've drive lots of old grain trucks is it a similar experience?

7. Parts, are they hard to get?

8. mileage, is 8-10 MPG realistic?

Any other suggestions or thoughts? Thanks, I appreciate any and all feedback.

John

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuces are only rated to pull 10,000 pounds . I would get a 939 series 5 ton ( M923 , M925 ) will be better suited for the load ,full air brakes , power steering and no import restrictions.

goodguyzy

A m35a2 is to small for what you want it to do. 20k plus trailer is to much weight. I would get a m915 or m916 with a lowboy or utility trailer.

JT Wood

A m35a2 is to small for what you want it to do. 20k plus trailer is to much weight. I would get a m915 or m916 with a lowboy or utility trailer.

Really? :shock: Now is this a legal thing, or is it just plain too much weight? I used to pull this with a 97 dodge 3500 (one ton) with a gooseneck hitch. it actually did pretty well.

It's hard to believe that a tandem axle truck couldn't take more than that. I believe you guys, I just wonder if it's CYA type thing.

Where I am, as long as the axle weights and tires aren't overloaded I can pull whatever trailer I want.

Let's say I upgrade to the 5 ton, how would this be for what I am planning?

Thanks again for the input

goodguyzy

A m35a2 is only 142 horsepower I believe, it tops out at 55 mph and that's pushing it hard. And the brakes......your asking for trouble. With your forklift and trailer your pulling around 26 to 28 thousand pounds. A m923a2 would be the smallest rig I would use.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trust anyone on here when they tell you 20,000 is too much for a Deuce. The Dodge was better suited.

You are going to have your flashers on all the time for going to slow unless it is all downhill and then you find the next problem, stopping.

An M915 would loath along pulling that load but it is better to have enough guts than not enough.

JT Wood

Well this leads me to a couple of new questions,
1. Is eastern surplus good guys? I spoke to Steve last week for about 20 minutes and he seemed decent. Is his stuff decent value?
2. He recommended an m818 fifth wheel tractor with a 250 horse cummins. Price starting at $9500 I'd post a link, but Im not sure if I'm allowed to link to a surplus shop. Are the 818 axles and brakes better, or the same? It looks like hey are air over hydraulic. Sorry for the basic questions, but I've only driven a deuce once, and that was over 20 yrs ago and it was for like 10 miles. I really have no frame of reference, or way of comparing.

61sleepercab

I have both a M35a2 and a M925a2 and have driven both. In the US both on the open market are close to the same price within $1000 to $ 3000 more for a M900 series. The 900 series has full air brakes with maxi spring emergency brakes with installed air connections for a heavy trailer. I would sure be more secure in a 5 ton with full air brakes available with a trailer helping stop.
On the road the Cummings engines and brake components are common parts that could keep you going on a job.

The deuce is a little lower cab and can be pull started. Negatives are specially built motors which are 40-50 years old and parts are not readily available, slower speed by 10mph? and weak brakes.

I would suggest a 5 ton with a winch bought from a individual if you can import it after having a mechanic drive and check out the truck. Mark

61sleepercab

For reference I bought from GL auction 1984 M925a2 cargo truck with winch ,48,000 miles and almost new tires for $4500.00 . Buying from auction is crap shoot and I got lucky. The advantage of purchasing from a person may be lower price for unit if you can import. A dealer has checked out trucks but who knows what they do besides check or change fluids and check lights etc.

For utility purposes would not a cargo truck pulling a low tandem trailer be handy? A cargo truck with signs on the sides would do more advertising sitting or in a parade than a road tractor I think. Mark

EWhytsell

IMO I'm not even sure an M35 meets commerical DOT specs. I wouldn't go on "grand fathered" either because they were designed in a completely different time with a completely different purpose in mind. "Purpose built to haul men and supplies at lower cross country speeds and be nearly unstoppable."

You'd be much better off with an older yet still newer designed medium truck. Bigger power, better brakes, higher top end speed, safer and much more comfortable everything.
Now if you got the space, technical knowledge, and want to have an awesome vehicle for making ice cream runs, then get a deuce and enjoy. I took my family "wife and two little girls" to the park today about 10miles and an air line broke off. slowly the pressure dropped buzzer sounded. Lucky we live on flat country roads. Once we got back to our house I had in fixed in about 5 minutes, but its a perfect example of what can happen on a truck built +40yrs ago and I baby mine big time.

Jeepsinker

Can you not buy a Canadian deuce? They were supposed to be just like our trucks but with better drivetrain and an exhaust brake. I don't know much about them, just what i have read here and there on the forum.

JT Wood

From what I can tell, the Canadian government does not sell military trucks to the public. The are parted out and scrapped. They surplus some things like my personal pickup truck. . not the big trucks. Unfortunately, I've also heard they are better as well

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the M818 your back to single circut hydraulic brakes . The 939 series get you into a modern air brake system . You should be able find M931 or M932 ( winch model ) what they want for the M818 .

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even though a Deuce is capable of towing more than 10K, its all about STOPPING, and you could very likely have your hands very full trying to make that happen under the best of circumstance this sure sounds like a job for a 5 ton and probably a 939 series truck, they are a lot more modern than the 800 series and the Deuce not to mention the brakes are far superior to both! Safety is your ultimate goal if you get into one problem because you overloaded your tow vehicle your going to have a whole lot more to worry about than why didnt I buy the 5 ton!
Good luck
KK

goodguyzy

I should of thought about the M931/32. Paired with a small lowboy would be a good setup. A few things to consider when owning a rig is the cost of insurance, fuel, mileage tax, registration.... I thought trucking was a rip off until I own my own setup and now I know that it costs a lot of money to run a truck. Here are a few pics of my M916 with some loads.

Attachments