• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might have found a deuce, things about it/to chk out

llong66

Hello everyone! I have owned my M1008 for a little over 2 years now and have been interested in the idea of owning a deuce for a long time. I have found one for sale, The truck comes with a trailer and the seller is asking $5200 for them both. This is the description he gives of the truck/trailer, it is a 1972:

Runs and drives down the road great. I just had it up to xxxx last summer and back with no issues.
Injection pump is turned up some.
Stainless steel muffler to help make it work drivable.
The entire exterior and interior have been lined with a rubberized coating that contains grip sand. This was to help quite it down and make it so my wife and I could have a conversation together.
I have a large Autometer volt gauge for the 12v system.
It also has Autometer boost and EGT gauges mounted on the steering column to monitor because it is turned up. It currently runs between 15-17 psi of boost.
Multifuel turbo diesel. (Runs on many different fuels: kerosene, gasoline, jet fuel, motor oil, vegetable oil, bio-diesel, ect)
This is an original hard top.
I have cut-to-fit a rubber bed mat from a truck lining the floor like a floor mat.
Has a kit to convert to replaceable oil filters installed.
It has all of the original military d-rings and hooks.
Has a GM style 12v charging system with battery in addition to the stock 24v system.
Interior LED lighting with magnetic reed switches on the doors to turn on when the doors are open.
Converted to rear hubs to accept a super single style tire. So this means there is not the dually in the back anymore. It would be easy to switch back if you wanted and all 11 tires come with it.
Newer platinum batteries from Farm and Fleet with 7yr warrenties.

The pics of it look really nice and clean. I do wonder a little about what he says he has done with the one rear axle, Is this common or a sign there could be a problem? He says it has really good road manners, that some of his friends truck are no where near as nice and he would not be afraid to take it on a long trip.
I do like the idea of the spin on oil filters. The truck does not have a winch which is something I would want it does not look like there i a place in the bumper for it. How difficult is it to install one? I see them for sale fairly often. Like I said, I have owned a FMV for a lil over 2 years, I am currently rebuilding a 6.5l turbo diesel for it, anyway, having owned this truck I am somewhat familiar with some of the issues of owning FMVs, TM use and ref etc. I guess I am just wondering from those who have them if I decide to go check the truck out is there anything in particular I should be on the look out for? The tires in the pics look pretty good. He told me it would do 60 on the highway but he keeps it at 55, is this running one of these to hard?
Assuming the truck is what he says and drives well, is his asking price reasonable?
I am sure alot of my questions will be answered in the TMs, which I am going to start digging into tonight, but if I were to have to make a quick decision, I thought you guys who own them might have some pointers.

Thanks Much!
Greg

Woodsplinter

There are many threads here that deal with buying a deuce- I would read through them first.
The price seems reasonable- hard to tell with no pics. Make sure it has a clear title if it is required in your state. I think he's saying it has 6 super single tires like the A3 has.

Just like any other vehicle, check for rust and fluid leaks. All deuces seem to seep oil from the head gaskets- minor seepage usually isn't a problem, it's the big drippy stuff that bears closer inspection.

Most guys don't like to run their trucks past 2300-2400 rpm on the road and that determines their "top" speed.

I don't have a winch so I can't help with that. Too much to cover in one post, so check the threads. Good luck and have fun!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Everything sounds good(reasonable) to me. You should be able to install a stock winch for $800-1500. Sounds like it has been his baby and he took care of it.

Hard to say w/o pics though.

61sleepercab

A start up, test drive and a good flash light go along way to check on a vehicle. Are there any puddles when parked? Starts up quick cold, no extra smoke, front tire wear normal, steering wheel slop, stops straight etc? Sounds like upgrades are normal stuff guys do to guild the lilly. Good luck Mark

llong66

I wasnt sure if it was ok to post pics since they were from an auction I just saved a few and cleaned them up, only thing I dont like is the color, would wana go to 3 color...Rapco is your friend! lol, No tarps or bows either. I know the pics are small, but they dont resize well....thanks much guys!! 00c0c_bAVezqF3ceN_50x50c.jpg00606_6JaZMiV08Ir_50x50c.jpg00101_bwe7xm6ZoDy_50x50c.jpg00y0y_5LPEshJHxYG_50x50c.jpg00V0V_dEnWcT2NiQO_50x50c.jpg00R0R_iYA5pObFf7m_50x50c - Copy.jpg00P0P_3AhxJkR9mJS_50x50c - Copy.jpg00g0g_kf37ra0Htl8_50x50c - Copy.jpg00d0d_8TvdRGrf1ms_50x50c - Copy.jpg01717_enZE3k1VKCR_50x50c.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Sounds like a good rig. Go look at it and take it for a spin around the neighborhood . Bring a creeper to check underneath for leaks and bent parts and rust damage.

llong66

Cbear, thanks much! That idea had not crossed my mind!
Looks like if we can come to terms, a road trip is in order, I have '92 vette I am looking to trade.

Thanks again!
Greg

llong66

Hello all! Well, looks like I wont be able to make this deal happen. It sounds like a really ice truck, he has alot of extra parts, an extra rear end, all the tire and part to convert back to the dual tire rear axles, extra windshield, two brand new tow bars and the trailer had been rebuilt, all but the tub in 2009 according to the tag. Problem was he could only trade straight across and my car has alot of extras so if I hang on to it and sell it once I get my 08 back together I think I can find a similar one and still have a few $$ in my pocket for things I know it will need.