• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might need a Tow in Suwanee

andy3

My M35A2 decided to lose all power on Friday on the way to give someone a ride. I was able to work on it a bit Friday before a scheduled trip and troubleshoot part of my way out. I worked on it in the driving rain tonight until I could no longer make progress with the tropical depression dropping the balance of it's rain on me. I am in a safe parking lot for now and will try again in the morning but have limited time with 4 kids. Anyone on the NE side of Atlanta that could be on standby for a tow in the next day or so would be awesome. PM me for my cell. Thank you in advance for any help. If I am in the wrong forum please move me to the correct one.

I will update this list if I get it going in the morning.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much help as far as a tow , but I would start with the fuel filters . I would take a clear jar and drain the primary fuel filter into it and see what is in it ( there is a petcock on the bottom ) . From the TM the primary filter should be done before operating ( daily ) the secondaries should be done weekly TM9-2320-209-10-2.pdf chapter 1

Last edited:

andy3

Porkysplace, Good to know and I will be devout now. I got my beautiful beast three weeks ago and kinda learning as I go. The petcock on the primary would spin but would not drain anything. The background is I have been running fine and was on a "maintenance" run and she lost power. Found the pickup pump not working where it previously had. Replaced fuse and still did not get but a trickle out of the secondary filters. We had tremendous flow at check on top of the tank. Replaced the secondaries last night and were full of crud. we were able to get the primary off in the dark and driving rain but had trouble with the o-ring. I could feel tons of grit on the primary but at that point I was nearly blind. This will most likely be a roadside repair followed by a second filter change soon. The truck had not been used very much at all in the past 4 years and I've been driving it all 4 to 5 times a week since I got it. I should have been a little more leery when the previous owner said it will run on used motor oil and everything. I bet that my recent fill-ups have acted as a solvent for all the goo and crud the previous owner put in the tank. And, not sure when last filter change was. More to do. More to learn.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the previous owner was dumping anything he could in it you may end up have to drain the tank and clean it , it could have a sludge build-up in it . Does the in-tank pump come on ? the pick-up on it could be pluged with crud also , you may need to pull the pump and clean it . Have you downloaded the Tm's the issues your working on should be covered in the -20 TM . Good luck.

andy3

We removed the Square 1/8 inch check plug at the top of the tank and were rewarded with a 10 ft+ stream of fuel. Good in tank pump pressure in-deed.

andy3

I ended up getting it towed to a friends repair shop 5 miles away this morning.
Got all the can filters changed out and good flow to the injection pump. and nothing coming out. Clinto gave me some things to try this afternoon but the shop says it looks like a IP issue. Hoping it is an air bubble from being starved of fuel so badly.

I am hamstrung on time and the Ga. rally is this week. I was planning on taking the whole family (6 of us) and doing a full day at the rally on Friday then Cub Scout Camping in the Deuce because my tent is busted. I am just forlorn without the truck in the driveway and having the plans up in the air. Send some good Green Iron thoughts towards Suwanee. I've got 3 Cub Scout den meetings I was going to drive it to this week alone. Dang!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks