• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mike D's deuce recovery/modification thread

rustystud

Other than brake system leaks, if it isn't making a puddle on the ground don't worry about it.
That's exactly what we do with our busses. In fact there is a specific spec. for how much oil is allowed to leak out when the bus is parked. I can't remember just off the top of my head right now, but a 8" puddle comes to mind. We use the Federal Guidelines.

skinnyR1

Found some time today to work on my truck. I first teed off the oil pressure fitting to install a mechanical gauge as well. In the process, I arced the solenoid and melted a wire to the starter. Luckily, nothing was damaged other than the melted 6 gauge wire which acted as a fuseable link.

I welded up my snorkel. Not too shabby for my first mig welding job.

uploadfromtaptalk1401678071917.jpg

I was getting a puddle in the cab after every rain storm. I found several pin holes in the hood cowl, under many layers of paint. Some clear rtv and it should be good to go.

Also started to weld the hitch. I need a bigger arc welder for that, so im gonna have someone else finish it up for me.

And finally, I exercised her. Probably close to 15k of patio stone in the bed over 20 miles, up a 10% grade at one point slowing down to 3 low at about 10 mph. She got it done though. I need to make time for the coolant hoses, as when I push it hard like that it pushes out more coolant. I lost about 3/4 gallon out the hose clamps in that 20 miles.

Oh. And also picked up a 1/2 inch staple in the sidewall. Somehow, I have no idea. Made its way through. I pulled the tire and used a patch on the inside.

Attachments

Last edited:
Looks good.... I did the same on my truck ran clear rtv around the windshield frame and cowl and both back seams on my hardtop. No leaks anymore. The Snorkel looks good I have to get my pipe and make mine soon.

Hey how many mats did you use for the floor. I don't know if I need to get one or two

skinnyR1

One mat covered the floor and the center. Barely, with none to spare. Ill post pics of it finished tomorrow. It probably dampens some noise, but its tough to say how much really.

Ok cool thanks. I'm not looking for noise deadening really but I want something on the floor. I wish I could cover the sides of the tunnel with it though

skinnyR1

Its three pieces. The drivers side, passenger, and tunnel. The sides of the tunnel that run down are glued to the top piece. I made it to be removable as water can still find its way under.

skinnyR1

I painted and installed the snorkel tonight. I welded the original exhaust clam shell bracket to a standard 4 incher for the snorkel. This way, it eliminates one clamp. I ordered the cap from Australia.

I still need to mod the exhaust shield to fit over, and reinstall the flapper.

I painted it with flat black gas grill paint. Ill probably paint it od later.

Attachments

skinnyR1

Here is another picture as I arrived at work today.

I now have full oil pressure of 30psi at hot idle on the dash sending unit, after teeing it off with a underhood mechanical gauge. I can only assume that cleaning the sending unit returned it to proper operation, as before, I was reading 0 at idle which prompted me to check it woth the mechanical.

I also opted not to install a stereo in the truck. I didnt want to clutter the interior with a head unit or the speakers. But, i still want some tunes.
Instead, I got a bluetooth boom box. I was going to make a bracket for it when I had it in the truck, but it sits nicely behind the seat. It runs off my phone and Pandora wirelessly, and is plenty loud. It has a battery, but when I finish my equalizer install I can also hook it to that. Its great, as I can take it out with me.

Attachments

skinnyR1

Ive been chasing an antifreeze consumption issue since day one. This was resolved this week with a brand new zero mile crate motor.
In addition, the tranny was dumping fluid out the front input shaft. That was fixed with a government rebuilt tranny. I should be ok mechanicaly, running wise, for a while now.

Ive put about 500 miles on the truck in two weeks. Ive ordered an a3 seat to go on the spring base. I am also contemplating a waterloo power steering kit instead of the air assist kit that I have yet to install.

Attachments