• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mild Power Adders

Thatwisebeardedguy

Hi all,

I know this question has been asked before: "I want to add power to my J-code 6.2." I've looked at various threads and everyone seems to have the same answer, which is the Banks Sidewinder Turbo kit. Banks makes a great product, but I'm not quite sure a turbo is what I'm after as I'm really only after a few more lb ft of torque, and not really after horse power. I want low end grunt not high end power. That said, anyone have any suggestions based on personal experience? I'm pretty new to diesel power adders as my M1009 is the first diesel I've owned. (I'm a recovering Mopar gas guy)

Thanks in advance!

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swap it for an M1008 if you can. That will get you the low end torque you want.
It just wont have as much highway speed. Others will chime in with more data.

Thatwisebeardedguy

Same effect will be achieved when I granade my corp 10 bolts with the hwy 3.?? gearing and swap in a 14 bolt and dana 60 with 4.56's. Gearing isn't really an issue. I'm taking more about egine power.

nyoffroad

Same effect will be achieved when I granade my corp 10 bolts with the hwy 3.?? gearing and swap in a 14 bolt and dana 60 with 4.56's. Gearing isn't really an issue. I'm taking more about egine power.
Advance the pump timing, turn the pump up, a 70R4 swap. All have been discussed here many times Gearing has a direct effect on 'felt horsepower'

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are low powered engines , diesels get power from air and fuel , they get too much they get hot and wreck things.
They are not like gas motors where higher compression pistions and cams crank up power.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel1.htm

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.2 is what it is..........I love it like it is.
You can tinker on the IP........ you produce big black clouds......with no significant effects.
If you mean the power of the 6.2 isn‘t enough, maybe it‘s the wrong engine, sorry, no offense........
just my 2 cents

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Thatwisebeardedguy

I know there isn't really much to be done for the 6.2, and it sort of "is what it is." Perhaps I'm misunderstood, I'm not looking to add a ton of power and break junk, I'm just wanting to know if there are little things that can be done to juice it up that don't necessarily hinder reliability

MarcusOReallyus

How much real world difference is 5 or 10 HP going to make? Is it really worth bothering with?

If you are talking about a jump from 50 to 60, that's a pretty good jump. But from 205 to 215? Not even noticeable.

Cost? Benefit?

Thatwisebeardedguy

Like I say, HP isn't the goal, torque is. If turning the right screws on the injector pump can get me 15-20 I'm happy. I'm a tinkerer by nature and like having thing to fart around with, so with the 6.2 I want it to be stock-ish and make upgrades where it's relevant to add performance or reliability. Make sense? If I wanted real power I'd swap in an 8.1 big block.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I say, HP isn't the goal, torque is. If turning the right screws on the injector pump can get me 15-20 I'm happy. I'm a tinkerer by nature and like having thing to fart around with, so with the 6.2 I want it to be stock-ish and make upgrades where it's relevant to add performance or reliability. Make sense? If I wanted real power I'd swap in an 8.1 big block.
You can gold plate and turd but all you end up with is a expensive turd, the 6.2's are what they are . Put M1008 axles under it and get rid of the GovBomb.

sandcobra164

I rode in dually M1028 that member Stonepicker had one year. Truck had a 6.2 in it and that thing was "woke up"! I'm sure he bumped up the pump and the truck responded well. He got sideways on a dirt road at about 30 mph. He also had a Banks sidewinder kit and installed it on the passenger side by dropping down to group 31 optima batteries and re-designing his battery mounts. The stock rear battery mount was gone to make room. I'd look him up and make contact, he's mostly moved on to the newer CUVC's from what I've read but he's a solid source of advice. As for the advice of getting a Dana 60 and 14 bolt rear, nothing wrong with that. Mine spins tires on my dirt road all the time starting out in 2 wheel drive if I hit the throttle to much. The rear end locks and it shakes the truck but that's not much of an accomplishment when you consider 4.56 gears being driven by an automatic transmission in 1st gear. I only run about 50 mph down the road and it doesn't sound like it likes much more. I'm happier at 45 and it's still way louder than anything else I have out here. Mine is completely stock drivetrain wise and has less than 8,000 original miles.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not sure how you would increase hp without effecting the tq. Id say rebuild- swap in new injectors first. A good air filtrr second. Then a 6.5 turbo setup.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_0417.jpgI installed a 6.5 from a 93 turbo truck. I have a single plane intake and the larger air filter housing from a 92 6.2. Then made a ram air with a stock tube from a gasser. I ran a 3 inch exhaust that stops just before the rear axle. The fuel rate is still at the turbo level. It will easily roast the rear tires at a stop sign. Although there is a pretty bad wheel hop. I can accelerate to 55MPH towing my tractor with ease. I hardly ever drive it that fast though. I usally stay around 50. Can a duramax out run it? There is no dout. But that's not why I did it.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cheapest and easiest way to feel slightly more power in your unit would be to put smaller tires on it. Not narrower but shorter. That will lower your ground clearance slightly and in effect give you a lower gear ratio. A couple of inches shorter tire would give you an effect you could feel.

Thatwisebeardedguy

My M1009 is an off road toy, so smaller tires are not an option. So eventually it will be regeared with beafier axles and likely a manual swap, which is why I say that I am indifferent towards regearing because it's already on the list for me.

Drock

I think you'd be better off focusing on keeping it reliable. The 6.2 is many things, but high performance isn't one of them:roll:. I think playing with gearing would be your best bet short of a motor swap.