• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mild Power Adders

Ilikemtb999

Hi all,

I know this question has been asked before: "I want to add power to my J-code 6.2." I've looked at various threads and everyone seems to have the same answer, which is the Banks Sidewinder Turbo kit. Banks makes a great product, but I'm not quite sure a turbo is what I'm after as I'm really only after a few more lb ft of torque, and not really after horse power. I want low end grunt not high end power. That said, anyone have any suggestions based on personal experience? I'm pretty new to diesel power adders as my M1009 is the first diesel I've owned. (I'm a recovering Mopar gas guy)

Thanks in advance!
I have a 6.5 turbo setup and its by no means a high rpm high horsepower setup. It makes boost right off idle and can be mainly felt down low. Cruising at 45mph it’s making 4-5psi.

Barrman

I have 4 non turbo 6.2 vehicles on the road currently. 2 M1009 trucks with stock gears, a M715 with 5.87 gears and a 2wd Suburban with 3.42 gears. Each one is different in how it drives and the power it feels like it makes and when it makes it.

The two M1009 trucks feel totally different. Both have 33 x 12.5 tires. One with a rebuilt IP and newer injectors has a K&N air filter and the pump turned up to put a little black smoke out if I get on it any from a stop. The other all stock with an older IP will out run it in town all day long and just feels faster all the time. It should be the other way around.

RED is the fast one. My son redid it 5 years ago, drove it daily once he got his license to high school and took it to College this past summer. He just walked in the door after driving it 160 miles round trip to see his girl friend. He cruises at 68-70 mph. He has put almost 20,000 miles on it all over Texas doing mountain biking.

However, almost all of that driving is at 1,000 feet elevation or lower. He took it to Palo Duro Canyon almost two years ago which is at 4,000 elevation. He said it was a dog. He was taught by me not to make black smoke. So driving by the exhaust in the mirror. He was down to 62-65 cruising on flat land and much slower on hills. Acceleration was almost non existent. Being in Colorado. What elevation are you at?

if you are wanting grunt at any speed at elevation. A non turbo diesel just isn’t going to do it. Yes, a gear ratio change will make it better. So will a manual transmission. A NV4500 will make it feel like more power. I have one behind a 6.2 in my M715. Dropping a gear on a hill and punching the throttle is nice. It sounds cool but I probably don’t gain much speed compared to just lugging it out.

I also have a 6.5 powered 4x4 3/4 ton square body Suburban. 3.73 gears and 35 inch tires so it is basically the same as a 3.42 gear ratio. Add in a 4L80E and I am at 1,800 at 70 mph in OD with the converter locked. A bit lower rpm than a M1009. I have a Banks turbo on it. Normal driving I don’t get any boost until I am above 50 mph. Hook up a trailer that is loaded or try dragging a M35 around a field and I have boost at 0 mph. It is a tremendous difference.

I want to turbo everything I own. Gas or diesel.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here would be my top 3. Add a second snorkel to the air cleaner. Switch to 3" single exhaust or at least add a balance tube. These should be done together. Lastly would be a new IP. Consider it maintenance.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't pay for the banks system, but a stock 6.5 turbo setup from a chevy truck (you use your OE pump though) will wake a J code 6.2 right up.

Scrounger

The first thing that I would look at is when was the fuel filter replaced, then the air cleaner. If you haven’t been around diesels you probably would be surprised how important that is. I don’t know the fuel situation in your area. However, around here a fuel filter only lasts around 10 thousand miles for light trucks. At my former work we would have to change fuel filters every two to three weeks. Yes, they only last a couple of weeks. So, for my run it was 4-6 thousand miles then the power would drop off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks