• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mile marker winch

Oldsouthernboy

Having just purchased several mile marker hydralic winches form the infamous GL folks, I plan on mounting one on my M1009. The mile marker folks have a nice PDF to down load directions. I wish to keep the brush guard if I can. To keep the approach angles from changing much I am look for mounting suggestions for the winch. Do I find a 84 winch bumper and slap it on and butcher the brush guard with a cutting torch and weld it on the new bumper? Or have local welder who will make me one for a few dollars? Or do a Home made job using the Hummv winch plate that came with the winches. the rest I will sell after mounting a second one on my 4x4 chevy truck. I wonder how one of those would look on the front of a Chrysler town and country. mm nice front to do a little bump and run with van. :idea:

mowerman

Did you consider a rear mount? lots of room back there, especially if no underbed mounted spare tire. Recovery of yourself usually means going backwards, and you can always use a snatch block to run the cable to the front is desired. recovery of others from the back of the truck adds some protection to critical parts of youre truck if the cable breaks or you start tearing pieces off. just my 2 cents. shoot me a pm when youre ready to sell one of those please.2cents

rnd-motorsports

I made a mount plate with a reese hitch mount so I can use mine front or back even on my trailer with jumper cable quick conects on the cable not limited to just one truck!2cents

Oldsouthernboy

This is the mounted that run offaua the power steering pump, I am not a fast enough to figure out how to mount a winch in the back, move it to the front while using the power steering set up. can someone point me the way to rig this?

Cucvnut

You would spill fuild every where. i would just run it up front look at the link i put up its a great idea for mounting and keeping your truck stock looking.

dragonman

Quick couplers

This is the mounted that run offaua the power steering pump, I am not a fast enough to figure out how to mount a winch in the back, move it to the front while using the power steering set up. can someone point me the way to rig this?
You could run hoses to rear and front and use quick couplers.

bronconut

all you need is 2 t-fittings and 6 quick connects and the propper lenght hoses plumb it all up and good to go. nice thing about the hydrolic whinch is it draws very little amprage, they are slower though.

aph1979

I hooked mine up by following the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/45839-quick-easy-winch-mount.html. I've attached a few pictures of my results. The first shows the original mount. The second was taken after I added two Tahoe tow hooks.

I mounted the controller plug next to the radio plug in the cab. The hydraulic line to the PS gearbox was just long enough, but I needed to make a 2 ft extension to reach the hydroboost.

So far the mount has proven rock solid. I've been ripping out stumps all summer with no problems whatsoever.

Attachments

Last edited:

grayw0lf

I made a winch bumper out of 3"x3"x.25" angle for my M1009 & I'm liking it. I overbuilt a bit & used 3/8" plate for the winch mounting plate.

I cut the brackets off the stock brush guard & modified it to fit my new bumper. It still looks military (sort of) & provides better protection. I raised the brush guard an inch or 2 to protect the front of the hood & added another set of cross bars to better protect the headlights. I'll have to find pics.

I feel much more confident running down small trees now. :roll:

niferous

So what's the part number for the Warn hidden mount? I went on their website and couldn't find an application that fit our trucks?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks