• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mileage going up on towed deuces?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the mileage on the odometer supposed to go up if you are towing (not driving) a deuce? Just noticed a discrepancy on one of the trucks in the mileage from the time we picked it up till the time we got it back, want to make sure everything is okay....

Angus1

Did you flat tow? If so did you pull any shafts? If the tires are turning and all shfts are connected it will run the odo up.

saddamsnightmare

February 28th, 2008.

Dear Maddawg:

As long as the transmission output shaft's being rotated, the mileage will be recorded whether the engine's turning it or the wheel's are turning it, but at least your engine hour meter didn't run up too ( if it did, you're in a world of hurt now!). Disconnect the forward and rear driveshafts and the only thing that increases towing is the mileage on your axles. LOL rofl :beer:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Mike, thats why you should pull the front caps and rear axles out. No need to worry about driveline when you do that. Also you should look into adjusting the brake cams, I bet that is why you had the brakes dragging on the one truck.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
a deuce should always be towed with the transfer in neutral and the transmission in gear. any other way risks serious damage to trans. the odometer will still register.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Mileage going up on towed deuces?

m-35tom said:
a deuce should always be towed with the transfer in neutral and the transmission in gear. any other way risks serious damage to trans. the odometer will still register.
Ok, now I'm confused, I asked this question a month ago and was told neutral, neutral......

45-50 mile flat tow.

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: Mileage going up on towed deuces?

The odometer cable comes from the t-case not the transmission. Otherwise, your speed wold be off when in low range.

Here is what the 9-2320-209-10-1 says:

Step on clutch pedal (1) and press it all the way down.
2. Place TRANSFER CASE gear shift lever (2) in neutral (mid) position.
3. Place FRONT TRANSMISSION gearshift lever (3) to N position.
4. Let clutch pedal (1) up.
5. Set handbrake (4) free (down position).
6. Tow truck following procedure given in

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

the transfer will lube itself the trans wil not. putting the trans in gear will guarantee it will be ok. putting the trans in neutral will almost certainly mean it will be ok, but things can go wrong

M1075

I towed a truck home once that had 1 hour and 12 miles on it. When I got it home, I was surprised the mileage was now 186. Still only 1 hour though!

Rattlehead

Re: RE: Mileage going up on towed deuces?

m-35tom said:

Can someone explain this? If the transfer is in neutral, the trans output shaft shouldn't be spinning, correct? The shift fork on the transfer case is in the top of the 3 gearsets. So when it is in neutral, all the gears on all 3 shafts are spinning, but the top gears are not engaged to the input shaft. The bottom gears spinning should carry the oil to the top.

I am planning on flat towing a deuce about 40 miles each way, and don't want to pull shafts if not necessary, as I need to move the deuce soon after I get to the destination.

Barrman

I copied the -10 a few months ago a few post up. You will be fine in neutral and neutral.

Yes, pulling the front hubs and at least one axle shaft from each rear axle will keep anything outside of the axle center sections from turning. (Pull a rear axle and bolt a front hub on to hold the gear oil in.) But as short a distance as you are going, just put things in neutral and drag away.

Do you have an air shift t-case or the sprag? If you have the sprag, pull at least one front hub off.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

When flat towing a deuce, For personal safety, go by the TM(neutral, neutral). For equipment safety,(In gear, Neutral). 2cents

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

James, can you share pics of the truck with one hour and 12 miles on it? I'd love to see it. I assume it is an M809 series truck from the pic.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guess what? If your in the towed truck, you can even see how fast your going! rofl

M1075

Re: RE: Re: RE: Mileage going up on towed deuces?

BKubu said:
James, can you share pics of the truck with one hour and 12 miles on it? I'd love to see it. I assume it is an M809 series truck from the pic.
Here is a pic of the truck in tow.

Attachments