• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mileage On Humvees

Hummer Guy

Does anyone know if there's a particular way to find the actual mileage on the humvees? I'm assuming there's some sort of scan tool that be plugged into the 4l80e possibly? I'm just a bit curious to see how many mines have since I've been driving the truck a lot. My old Garmin GPS said I drove around 44k miles with it and I mostly only used it in the humvee and that was about 4 months ago when it was still working

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if there's a particular way to find the actual mileage on the humvees? I'm assuming there's some sort of scan tool that be plugged into the 4l80e possibly? I'm just a bit curious to see how many mines have since I've been driving the truck a lot. My old Garmin GPS said I drove around 44k miles with it and I mostly only used it in the humvee and that was about 4 months ago when it was still working
The 4L80 is not that smart, it was GM's first attempt at computer control.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got to trust the odometer. These trucks aren't equipped with a hubometer from the factory.

I'm assuming he's asking because GP states the odometer may not be accurate.
OH, in that case there is no possible way, speedos get changed all the time.
I bought one junk truck that had a much newer speedo with very few miles on it that had just been stuck in the dash without even connecting, I pondered why someone would put that speedo in that junk truck.
The only thing I can think of is they needed a speedo with high mileage to put in another truck to justify turning it in for replacement, the speedo worked fine.

williamh

I am only guessing but my truck showed 20k miles when I got it , looking at the wear on the frame , ball joints , etc. I’m guessing it’s more like 220k miles , most vehicles are driven 10k miles a year on average And I’m guessing that the young marines that were driving the truck before I got it did that and more and with the amount of dirt in it I’m guessing it was all off road. Speedos and gauges are changed at the drop of a hat. 2cents

Hummer Guy

I am only guessing but my truck showed 20k miles when I got it , looking at the wear on the frame , ball joints , etc. I’m guessing it’s more like 220k miles , most vehicles are driven 10k miles a year on average And I’m guessing that the young marines that were driving the truck before I got it did that and more and with the amount of dirt in it I’m guessing it was all off road. Speedos and gauges are changed at the drop of a hat. 2cents
Could be 20k hard miles, my broken speedo had around 3.5k and the hours was around 300 if I remember. My transfer case and transmission looked clean but the ball joints look like they seen better days, the radiator looked like someone got in a fist fight with it, the transmission wiring harness ripped out (No leak meant no oil in it), generator dead, and the front bumper mount was bent pretty bad (Looked like they were playing bumper cars), and the alignment was crazily off. The underneath looked like it was a new truck that just got beat to death fast

Awol

The USMC isn't easy on anything lol

Mine is a USAF truck with 15k miles on it, and you'd think it has 500 when looking underneath it.

thoner7

My hour meter was over 1200 hrs when I got it. 1500 miles on the odometer. Something was off lol

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget that most of the trucks released went through a rebuild at approx 10 years old, so the drivetrain might be rebuilt from a vehicle that had tens of thousands of miles on it, or from one that sat in the depot for 10 years and never moved.

On top of the fact the speedo may have been changed it likely sat and ran as a power source which is the reason they put tachs in them.
The tach may have been replaced with one from another truck as well, just like any other component.