• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military air compressor engine swap.....off comes the 1A08!

I have a bunch of these lil military air compressors and decided to swap on a Predator engine from Harbor Freight after a friend did a similar swap.

Engine was $90 with a 2 year warranty after a 25% discount coupon the checkout person gave me.

Here are a couple quick pics, I'll post some more up later along with details if anyone is interested.
I really like the 1A08 engine, see my other thread, but this one had a cracked intake and I wanted
to try something different.

All comments welcome!

output (4).jpgoutput (5).jpg

5 cfm at 175 PSI

they are great lil compressors, very high quality and HD

You will find different compressors mounted, single head and three head but they all are rated the same.

You can of course regulate them to whatever you want.

They come with a small 3 pound air tank.

Last edited:
OK so the original 1A08 engine was replaced by a Harbor Freight 6.5 hp Predator engine
https://www.harborfreight.com/65-hp-212cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-69730.html

image_25344.jpg

The 1A08 is 8 cubic inches and rated by the military at 1.5 hp but most seem to think its closer to
3hp. This model Predator is almost 13 cubic inches and rated at 6.5 hp. Seems to be a bit overkill
at first glance but the crank shaft size is the same, 3/4 inch, meaning the pulley will swap right over
and you don't have to buy or find anything else.

This engine mounts up easily, you just need to fabricate something for it to bolt onto at the proper height.
The engine does not look "big" or oversize in my book.

The Predator starts very easily, on the first or second pull typically, but likes to be choked if it has not been running.
Power wise, it will build air at idle all the way to 175 psi. It does not lug the engine down, even at idle. Open the throttle
and it builds air fast. Engine runs smooth, is fairly quiet and seems like a nice economical replacement option to consider.

They also offer a smaller 79cc 3 hp model I first considered. A friend has mounted one of these onto an identical air compressor.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-HP-79cc-OHV-Horizontal-Shaft-Gas-Engine-EPA-69733.html

image_20898.jpg
This model has a smaller 5/8 inch shaft so you need a different pulley as well.
He's used it professionally on his work truck for over a year now with no issues. He doesn't feel it has as much
HP and Torque as the original 1A08. But it runs fine and he's had no issues. Cost wise you can often get the the
larger 6.5hp model for less, hence my purchase.

Last edited:

Jericho

Hummm, may be looking for some of THOSE rare and unusual devils, ( that's what I tell my wife about everything green I bring home )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks