• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Antenna on a Deuce

Billy Bobbed

Im thinking of putting one or 2 VRC military antennas on my truck for show,but was wondering were to put them.You barely see any trucks with any kind of antenna on them.Did these trucks have a certain place the antenna was located.I was thinking of mounting them on each side of the bed.And was wondering if you can hook a CB to these antennas.

Last edited:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Yeah , your thinking right. Each side of the bed if you wanted to run two. Ive seen them all over in the Military so id say its your call. Theres a few threads on SS that shows where to mount them and how. -Jay

P.S.
I have the sugar scoop, spacer, and backing plate if anyone needs them PM me.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go with the current issue antennas you'd commonly find on a deuce such as an AS-3900 or AS-3916 your results with a CB will probably not be satisfactory. Those two antennas are VHF 30-88 MHz, and I seem to recall that they are more efficient at the upper end of it's designed range. I'm sure you can find other mil antennas that will work with citizen band radios (26.965-27.405 MHz), but I can't recall any. Look for a frequency matching or impedance matching HF (2-30 MHz) antenna.

The older VRC-12 series antennas such as an AS-1729 and AS-3684 were also designed for the 30-88 MHz, but I think they were not for frequency agile radios such as SINCGARS. Meaning, they didn't match the impedance of the antenna to the frequency the radio was transmitting. The newer antennas do this to be as efficient as possible with SINCGARS frequency hopping.

Also, as far as current mil (specifically Army) comms, it's not uncommon to mount a VHF antenna where ever it makes sense. Common areas would be on the front of the bed on either, or both sides of the cab, or on the rear quarter of either side of the cab just behhind the door. I'm sure there is a TM that spells it out, but I can tell you as a Signal Soldier/officer of 11 years that the signal Soldiers on the line and operators even moreso will install antennas where ever it works.

I just recently thought about setting up a regular commercial FM radio (88-108 MHz) receiver with an AS-3900 on my 5 ton (when I finally get to pick it up). Has anyone done this? It'd be a fun way to have tunes in an MV without an unsightly commercial automotive antenna. It might work, probably won't work well but it's be receive only so I may give it a shot sometime.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
While I was searching, Bulldog_mack beat me to the punch with his search kharma.

Chief_919

If you go with the current issue antennas you'd commonly find on a deuce such as an AS-3900 or AS-3916 your results with a CB will probably not be satisfactory. Those two antennas are VHF 30-88 MHz, and I seem to recall that they are more efficient at the upper end of it's designed range. I'm sure you can find other mil antennas that will work with citizen band radios (26.965-27.405 MHz), but I can't recall any. Look for a frequency matching or impedance matching HF (2-30 MHz) antenna.

The older VRC-12 series antennas such as an AS-1729 and AS-3684 were also designed for the 30-88 MHz, but I think they were not for frequency agile radios such as SINCGARS. Meaning, they didn't match the impedance of the antenna to the frequency the radio was transmitting. The newer antennas do this to be as efficient as possible with SINCGARS frequency hopping.

Also, as far as current mil (specifically Army) comms, it's not uncommon to mount a VHF antenna where ever it makes sense. Common areas would be on the front of the bed on either, or both sides of the cab, or on the rear quarter of either side of the cab just behhind the door. I'm sure there is a TM that spells it out, but I can tell you as a Signal Soldier/officer of 11 years that the signal Soldiers on the line and operators even moreso will install antennas where ever it works.

I just recently thought about setting up a regular commercial FM radio (88-108 MHz) receiver with an AS-3900 on my 5 ton (when I finally get to pick it up). Has anyone done this? It'd be a fun way to have tunes in an MV without an unsightly commercial automotive antenna. It might work, probably won't work well but it's be receive only so I may give it a shot sometime.
The AS-3196 is speced for 30-90mhz, but my SWR analyzer shows they exceed the spec and stay within the rated SWR down as low as 26mhz, and as high as 100.

They work pretty well on CB freqs, and I have used one for RX as high as 470mhz with a scanner with no issues. I will compare it to some other antennas on FM broadcast freqs tomorrow when I am in the shack to see how well it works.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks