• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military antenna sugestions

richingalveston

I do not have a lot of knowledge with regards to radios. I have a cobra cb and plan to purchase a Uniden trunk tracker scanner in the near future and would like to know if there are any military antennas I can use with these. from my understanding the antenna needs to be tuned and at this time I do not know much about them. I have a 1009 with the antenna brackets and brush gaurds and would like a military style antenna to use with the cb and scanner to keep the outside looking military. What would be my best option if any with regards to military antennas and what would be an approximate cost.

Thank you for your input.

goldneagle

I may be wrong but I read somewhere in here that the frequency range of the military antennas is not compatible with the CB radio. I am installing a 102" CB antenna on my truck. It will look a lot like the long military ones but the frequency is correct for the CB set.

M813A1

But and AB-15 Antenna and get the MS-116, MS-117, MS-118 antenna sections and have an overall measurement of 110 " from tip to the base and your CB will work just fine with this military antenna. You can get that antenna setup on EGAY and spend around $ 75.00 for it all. You will need a sugar scoop mount and the rubber gasket for the base and the clamp on ground cable to make it work !!

richingalveston

I have found some AB-15 bases. from the pictures it looks like they have a big red ceramic isolator on them and not a spring base. Is this correct or is that a spring base. Also will it fit the 1009 antenna mounts with the brush gaurds. I found a couple, some with the whips in 2 ft sections. Just want to make sure I am getting what I need before purchasing these items.
I am certain I will need a spring base since the mast are very rigid.

M813A1

Ya te AB-15 Antenna base has a 2 piece ceramic isolator at the base, and the base spring is incased in rubber that screws the ceramic insolator together , Then get 1 ea, ms-118, ms-117, and ms-116 antenna sections, also you need the ground strap that goes around the lower section of the base. and you will need 2 rubber gaskets to go between the ceramic pieces and the antena mount. !!

richingalveston

I found one that has the ground strap and 2ft antenna sections that go upto 15ft. I figured I could just use enough sections to get my correct length and maybe only have to trim the last section. from all of the pics I have seen of this base, I cannot tell that it has a spring so I was not sure it would work. If the spring is there and I can not see it then I am sure it would work. Others here say I need to change my mount. from the looks of it, it appears that it will fit in my 1009 mounts. Can anyone here confirm that I can use my 1009 mounts with this AB-15 base. Also do you agree that I should be able to trim the existing antenna down to the propper length or will trimming the antenna not work?
thanks for the input

richingalveston

I have been looking at an 8.5 foot AS-3900 antenna on sale somewhere and was wondering if it could be modified for CB. It appears the base would fit the cucv mounts. description says antenna was from a hmmwv m35a2. I know nothing about this antenna but if it is 8.5 foot then it is 102 inches and thus I would think something could be done to make it work for a CB.
I am still looking for a military antenna that can be modified for a CB that works with the antenna mounts on my 1009.

M813A1

The only problem is that the AS-3900 antenna is not tuned to the lower CB frequencys. If you use the AS-3900 you will need use an additional mathcing unit to use your CB ..

Last edited:

richingalveston

In order to use the AB-3900 could you gut the base and basicly just use the spring and mast since the length should work. They seem to be available and I have mounts on both sides of the truck so could you elaborate on how to use two of them.
thanks for the input. I know nothing about antenna's and antenna tunning so any input is appreciated.
I would like to find or build some antenna's that look military and look good with the antenna mounts on my 1009 but work with my cb and possibly a scanner.

M813A1

I can tell if your idea will work or not ?? I myself put my AB-15 with 3 MS antenna sections on my 5 Ton and it works fine and it is totally all military equipment !!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a summary of tests a Ham ran on 10meters (CB is 11m, close) and 6 meters:

http://digitalcartography.com/n0eq/AS3900.htm

Use on CB band doesn't look very promising.

I'll summarize, but this info is already available on this forum in other threads. Search on AS-3900.

The AS-3900 was designed to provide an antenna that does not need the switch at the base as it's predecessors required. The reason is that the military upgraded to radios that jump around in frequency and can't wait for tuning. The AS-3900 was designed to "work" across it's entire operating range ("instantaneous bandwidth"), but "work" needs some explanation.

SWR is high, Gain is NEGATIVE (the antenna radiates much less than is put in). Published specs say around 3 to 1 SWR and most CB and ham radios will not like that. A CB (or ham radio) will degrade output power due to high SWR. How much is unpredictable.

Gain of the AS-3900 at 30 MHz is around -7 db (that's with a minus sign). For every 3 db the power gets cut in half. Starting out with 4 Watts from the radio (legal) divided in half is 2 W, and that's only -3 db. 3 more negative db puts power out at 1 Watt. That accounts for 6 db loss, so now add another 1 db (7 - 3 - 3 = 1) loss and output from the antenna is well below 1 W.

Then remember that your radio turned it's power down to below 4W to protect itself. Also consider that 26 to 27 MHz CB freq is outside the designed performance range of the AS-3900 so that -7 db was probably optimistic! Sure the AS-3900 it will work, just not work well.

Another consideration is that the AS-3900 is a dipole antenna. The feed point is not at the base, it's near where the two halves join. That's important because this type antenna cannot be considered a whip antenna that happens to be near the length needed for CB even if the measuring tape says otherwise.

Now for a real world comment (all the above is theory): Anything you hook to your CB might provide enough signal leaked out to be able to use it, as in a convoy, in close proximity. Even a dummy load will do that if it has a few feet of leaky coax in line with it.

As for using two antennas of any kind at the same time, two reasons it's tricky: First, paralleling two antennas designed for 50 Ohm feed will require matching to 25 Ohms. Ignore that and it's a 3 db loss, but that's not so bad that it won't still work. You'll only LOSE half your power by adding an antenna!

Secondly, consider the pattern achieved by two antennas located across from each other on a vehicle. The gain pattern could easily be best perpendicular to the vehicle, sideways to the road. You just lost even more power to the trucks in the convoy.

Bottom line: you are much better off with one antenna on a vehicle unless extra effort is made to match the antenna feeds (build a feed harness to transform impedance back to 50 Ohms) and arrange the antennas for radiation pattern where you actually need it.

Bob WB4ETT

Last edited: