• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military applied undercoating?

galeo7171

I've recently bought two 1984 m1009. One of them has had some sort of rubbery undercoating sprayed on the undercarriage. It looks like it was done a long time ago because it has worn off on a lot of places. My other 84 has no signs of ever being coated and is quite frankly rusty as ****. Did the military spray any kind of undercoating on some of the vehicles? My m1009 with undercoating also has the words CARC 1996 stenciled on the door, am I right to assume it was repainted in 1996? Maybe they sprayed the undercoating then? I was going to paint the undercarriage with either por15 or chassis saver, but now I don't think I can without removing all the rubbery stuff, which seems like it would be a pain in the butt.

Skinny

I do not have any type of oily or rubberized coating on my truck at all. It does have what appears to have large chunks of paint like substance flaking off on the frame in spots. I also have a decal on the radiator support that says something about an undercoat has been applied. Looks government related, not some yo yo undercoat put on by a local shop. The placard matches many others under the hood.

DeucesWild11

I have the sticker on my M105 as well that there was some sort of rust proofing applied. I was told the rumor that it was similar to bed liner. I don't know if that is accurate. It was probably pretty good stuff that is now probably banned to use for it's environmental properties..

Skinny

My USMC M1028 has this label under the hood. It does have the tar like stuff all over the underside and wheel wells. Not a bit of rust anywhere.
That is what I have. You can see where large chunks have come off and the original CARC is underneath. Looks brand new in spots.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 71 Deuce that I restored and it had a fair amount of this "tar like substance" under the truck, I ran into it when I was sanding the undercarriage, VERY ugly stuff. I ended up using gasoline as a solvent to remove it and that worked pretty good, then proceeded to sand prime and paint. I think it works to prevent rust but it sure is ugly to work around!
KK

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try a search for undercoating, under coating , rustproofing, rust proofing.

3ID ARMY BRAT

My 1971 M35A2 had it done, but it had a sticker that said something about the under coating application expiring in 93 or 94. It must have worked because there is only a little surface rust on the frame and none on the cab or bed.

I well have to take pictures to show yall.

fasttruck

WAS STATIONED IN SEA GIRT, NJ FACILITY RIGHT ON THE SHORE AND DOD HAD CONTRACTORS COME IN AND Z BART THE EQUIPMENT. OF COURSE THEY WAITED UNTIL RUST WAS WELL ON THE WAY ON MOST OF IT. tHEY MADE LARGER THAN CIVILIAN APPLICATION HOLES IN THE ROCKER PANELS ETC AS i GUESS TO GET MORE PRODUCT IN.

Well im gonna chime in on this :). Im not an expert but i have undercoated my share of MVs for the marine corps,air force,army and coastguard.I use to work for dyna corps int and we use to use that tar like stuff was nasty to clean up and always seem like wouldnt dry and it was a pita to blast off and that was with 100psi+ using aluminum oxide .Then about 2008 i worked for a company called ds2 we used a water based undercoating on the mk48s,Hummvees,mtvr 7 tons which it covered alot better and was easier to clean up. i think they are still useing it now at least until march of this year as i was layed off.I was involved in the body work for the MVs for the military did it for 5 years and i learned alot i have done alot from dismantleing the equipment to putting a pattern on them. :]:grd:

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Just had the inside and underside of my cab sprayed with Ultimate Linings (spray-on bedliner). Need to figure out how to strip that tar stuff off the bottom of my M109 box so I can have that sprayed too. Wouldn't even worry about removing the old stuff, except the sheetmetal has rusted through.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks