• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military camper platform, which to build

Camper setup choices

• M934/m820 with car hauler

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Tractor with m146

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tractor with m313 modified

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tractor with other trailer

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

red

Having a very hard time deciding what camper/toy hauler setup to build and would like yalls opinions on this.

Main goals for the camper are the ability to explore to remote locations, specifically in the western US. A highway cruising speed of 55-60mph, sleeping for up to 4, normally 1-2, and enough cargo room for some toys (dirt bikes most likely). Shower, bathroom, and a small kitchen inside the camper as well.

I also have an old full-size truck that is becoming a rock crawler, currently at a 12ft wheelbase but can be shortened if it will help with fitment.

Options I'm looking at are:
M934/m820 with a trailer behind it for the rock crawler when needed. Dirt bikes stored inside the shelter.

M818/M931 with a m146. Tractor is more versatile, and the 146 provides great lighting and ventilation with fixed walls. The rock crawler becomes a concern...

M818/m931 with a extended m313 trailer. By adding a few feet to the trailer I can carry the truck over the hitch and the camper behind it.

Tractor with other trailer..... Want to keep trailer length below 35ft

A normal camper doesn't survive the places I like to go.

Bandit02

I'd haul a 35' seacan and make a camper out of that. Maybe cut that in half so you can roll your crawler off the back. Tractors in themselves are too short for anything.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm planning a M931 A2 build with a 106 box mounted on the back. That is basically a 8x12 box, so you would need to be creative to sleep 4 with a bathroom and kitchen.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The lmtv trucks are more road friendly and I believe they would be better offroad compared to the M939 trucks. None are rock crawlers get a unimog for that.

red

The lmtv trucks are more road friendly and I believe they would be better offroad compared to the M939 trucks. None are rock crawlers get a unimog for that.
The military truck will be used to pull the rock crawler. The m818,931,820, or 934 will do some offroad driving but nothing crazy.

ROCKWELL-C60

If I had to do it again I'd go with a m928 with m146 on back and a second set of tandems making it a 10x10. Also thought of tandem rear for front suspension making it twin steer with axle in front of bumper. Sounds easy doesn't it. Great departure angles

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO when you say 'explore' and 'remote' you should not have a trailer behind you. Taking any trailer onto an unknown remote trail would get complicated when you can't turn around.

There's no reason a truck-mounted camper can't be built to go anywhere the truck can go, if you can use a pop-up.

Sounds like your need is for a vehicle and trailer to get you to the campground where the bad stuff starts :)

Suprman nailed it: "The lmtv trucks are more road friendly and I believe they would be better offroad compared to the M939 trucks. None are rock crawlers get a unimog for that."

Bob

azteclizard

I have the same goals. I chose to go with an M52a2 because of the multifuel, change out the tendems for a single rear, cut down a bed off an M54 to about 10'6"... then the intent is to get a popup that will fit within the bed sides sideways, so that the ends will open over the bedsides. thatway when im going down a trail to a camp site im not worried about crushing the front of my camper on a low branch. this would leave 4ft or so in the bed for a generator or even a quad and have the space as a porch when im camping.
then to pull my rock crawler(grand cherokee on 37s with 1ton axles) i am looking for a trailer. maybe like one of the ammo trailers GL was getting rid of here a year or so ago. this way there are plenty of tiedowns for the jeep and have proper brakes to run off the M52

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi-Lo on truck of your choice.

Hey Red,

I just picked up an older Hi-Lo camper. the overall width (top part) is exactly the same at the inside width of the MV truck beds (deuces and 5-tons). I had been looking for one of these for a long time and finally snagged one just this week. This particular one has about 17 feet of box length but they made a 15 foot version as well. It drops down to about 4.5 feet high for traveling (and off-roading, in our case) Newer trailers are all wider meaning cutting of the bed sides. Others have done this before so there are camper threads showing those that have gone before me. Picture below.

Attachments

red

I remember the Hi-Low trailers and the Trail Manors. For the places we explore Vped it works great. Lots of desert terrain.

I'm picking up a m51 that I'll be using for this setup. With the wrecker around I can easily change setups before a trip. So turning the m51 into a tractor with a m313 or m750 behind it. or have a m109 box that I can pick up, bolt down, and go.

red

IMHO you will never be sorry if you start with a 400 hp Cummins in your camper. Hard to up grade the power later
I have a DT466 sitting in my garage that will be going into the truck. Getting a couple upgrades, nothing crazy and will be a good bump in fuel economy as well.

Plus the price tag of the 915-920 series is more than I'm willing to spend right now. I'd love to have a HET, swap out the trans for a 13 speed, and have fun. Maybe one day but its gonna be awhile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks