• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military convoy

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would think if someone were going to hijack guns from a military convoy they would be prepared for a lot more than one gun per vehicle. That type of an operation would be fairly well thought out and planned.

Rick
Not so much of a gun hijack but a IED ride I think may be the thought, after Fort Hood

AMGeneral

Many years ago( probably around 1999/ 2000,when i first got the M35A2C) I was on my way back from a truck show in Pigeon Forge TN when I was waved into a convoy of about 20+ M915A1s and M871 trailers headed east,they slowed down to 50 mph and put me in the middle of the convoy till I pulled off at exit 106,roughly 70 miles or so.

Granted the M35 had full canvas,the TP plates were in the cab,and I had on Vietnam era jungle fatigues(coming from a show)

The one that really sticks in my head was the ECC to Aberdeen in 2005,we had a load of deuces(20+) headed up I-95 in VA,I was in the tail end with the M816,I think maybe I was towing a disabled truck behind, when we were passed by a convoy of engineers(?) headed south(900 series dumps,Hemtt tanker,Hemtt wrecker) we must have been close to the same frequency on the mil radios some of us had in the trucks,because a voice crackled over the headset from the engineer convoy stating,

" You guys think we got bad equipment,look at that old crap THAT unit has to drive!!"

Later on,as we got to FT AP HILL,the guard at the main gate stopped traffic and gave us a signal to make the turn into the compound,he seemed slightly confused that we just rolled on by.

Last edited:

shadowrwolf

I would think if someone were going to hijack guns from a military convoy they would be prepared for a lot more than one gun per vehicle. That type of an operation would be fairly well thought out and planned.

Rick
well the military is more concerned with civilians getting shot than losing weapons so they load up 1 firearm even if its a buss load of them, just there way of making it look safe on paper.

jbingvtx

I was driving to Charleston, SC empty with my m915a1 (tan) and my M967 tanker (green)

Got on the on ramp at I-77, and when I got to the top, there was a 12 deep convoy of brand spanking NEW M915a5's :drool: (tan) with m967 tankers (green) A short tiny little black girl driving one gave me several double takes, then slowed down (we were kind of pacing as I was coming up the on ramp, she had the seat bottomed out to reach the pedals) and motioned me in line. I rode 4 deep for about 15 miles, but then started to get passed, as I wasn't going fast enough! and I had her floored to try to keep up with the trucks ahead of me!!!!:driver:

Got horn salutes from the following 8 trucks, the bobtail, and the Hmmvee guy bent out the window and gave me a thumbs up when they went buy. It was pretty cool, wish the M915a1 had had the faster tranny in it, they probably would have let me ride the whole way with them.
I've seen several of these same convoys rolling through southern WV, I got some pics that I'll have to share. I would never have to worry about joining a convoy...the old deuce won't run with the new MVs.

Csm Davis

I have been in many and have been shunned by a few as I drive to and from base daily wildest ride was in the Cucv in the middle of a line of wheeled armor they waved me in on the hwy and we just rolled through the gate the guard paid no attention to me, but I wasn't going to stop and test the brakes on the heavy armored truck behind me.

max1008

While on the turnpike I switched lanes to let merging traffic in and an armored hummer merged on and stayed behind me for about 60 miles. He would pull back pretty far on the hills but then catch up to me on the flats.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the way to Haspin we had our doors blown off by a Hemtt. lol

Not a military convoy but related to AMG's post

Several semis blew by, and I heard one on the CB (I was tailing in the m915, the 'quiet' mv.) "I hope they are driving all that crap straight to a scrapyard"

Another one several hours later said "They got one of those little girls driving that deuce. We had them in Iraq, 80lbs, couldn't carry their gear, dragging their rifle. I suppose they have there place, but most are useless"

I called him back and said "Driver, you better count your lucky stars of two things. One, that she didn't hear you say that, and two, if she had, she couldn't catch you to beat the crap out of you in that slow deuce. I'll have you know that girl has changed all the tires on that truck and then some." The other drivers started heckling the offending driver, telling him they will follow to the next truck stop so they could watch said 80lb 'army chick' whip his butt.

I told Angie about it when we stopped, and she didn't care about the rest, all she said was "they thought I weighed 80lbs?" with a huge smile on her face...

Attachments

NEIOWA

well the military is more concerned with civilians getting shot than losing weapons so they load up 1 firearm even if its a buss load of them, just there way of making it look safe on paper.
Got that right. I dont know if any smarter now but. mid/late 80s SOP at Ft Lewis was the convoy commanter (lead HMMWV) had a 45/9mm with 5rd and convoy NCOIC in trail had a M16 w/5rd. "Supposed to" have the ONE Mag in mag pouch not in the weapon. This was with multiple 5tons loaded with pallets of everything from small arms, C4, LAWs, live TOW II rounds, mines (for In Bn live fire FTX). Trained 11B drivers/TC all had their M16/SAW/M60 without a blessed round available. Still think it was moronic. But typcial.

BUT when a POS shoots up Ft Hood it's workplace violence.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks