• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Flat Bed

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got me one of the military flat bed trailer down at hooks this week, and for under $400! I've been watching for a while and I just couldn't pay $11-1200 for one! Anyway I am planning on hauling it the 250 miles home with my Armada, the lunnette looks pretty high on the trailer, i think I can depress it to fit the hitch but it would helpful if some one can tell me how high off the deck the lunnette is at rest.
James G.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to TM43-0001-31 the Lunette height is 30 in. Weight is 4820. Your Jap truck should have fun with that.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
James,

I got one a few months ago and I really like these trailers and have huge potential.

It can haul just about anything as long as you have a vehicle that can tow it. I only have a deuce but I'm adding additional air system to mine and a trailer braking system and will have to watch how much I tow.

I may turn mine into a tool trailer that will contain several bolted down maintenance tool boxes, an I beam and hoist, a 3kw, and a small tent. Probably will add a small fridge and definately a sink (yes I have a field hospital sink to wash up in). So everything including the kitchen sink. :-D

Great trailers!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
"I CAN"T HAVE NOTHIN".auaauaaua

If you got that for less than 400 you stole it.

They go for over a grand everytime around me.

I been :drool::drool::drool: over one of those to pull behind my wrecker.

If you are going to pull that with anything smaller than a deuce you better pack a lunch and make sure your insurance is paid up. They were made to be pulled behind a 5 ton.

Just my 2cents worth.

Nonotagain

The deck height of the M1061 trailer is 37". The lunette ring on mine was at 35".

These trailers tow VERY heavy. Base trailer weight is 5850 lbs but I think this is without the landing gear legs which weigh close to another 100 lbs each.

Since GL handles these trailers with fork lifts figure on both parking brake cables being crushed causing the brakes on the front axle to be locked up. You might have to cut the parking brake cables to free the wheels up.

By Armada are you referring to a Nissan Armada? If so good luck as you will have no brakes on the trailer and it will push your truck all over the place.

I recovered a complete laundry unit back in February using my F350 dually. I got pushed thru one traffic light after it did a fast change which I won't repeat again.

Be very careful when towing one of these.

ARYankee

I was wanting one but I'm currently under funded at the moment. I was watching them like a hawk and it took all my will power not to bid on it. Let me know what kind of shape they are in and if they have any left that may come up for bid next. Also if you need any help holler at me.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never pulled one of these trailers but with the weights people are saying I'd rethink my tow vehicle. I wouldn't want anything less than a 1-ton for that kind of weight (with no trailer brakes) unless it was just a couple of miles.

I think your Armada has a 9100 lb towing capacity, so you should be able to tow the trailer. Most any trailer, of this weight, would have trailer brakes so stopping may be an issue.
I tow M105s with my Excursion with no problems, they are 2750 lbs empty. It has load range E tires @ 70psi, airlift suspension and an 11000 lb standard towing capacity. I made an extended pintle hitch for my truck and use magnetic tow lights. I have towed my PM96 lube unit without any problems, it must weigh close to 5000 lbs.
Good luck with your recovery, and take some pictures.

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Towing

The Armada has surprised me on how well it tows, the flatbed is in Hooks TX so about a three hours drive for me. I have a raised pintal hitch for the truck and it has a towing package that works pretty well. I towed my lub. trailer a couple of months ago from hooks with no problem. I am going to take a compressor to air up the tires, the trailer I got has the tool boxes but no spare, so I will be carring the spare from one of my bolster trailer just in case, if anyone has a spare I am in the market since one of the bloster trailers and now this flat bed are without! I will watch the braking, no fun being pushed through traffic lights,
James G.

randyman

I also need a spare tire or two. Hopefully, with all these trailers that have been auctioned off recently, there will be be tires and parts (esp. brake system items) available.

Nonotagain

The Armada has surprised me on how well it tows, the flatbed is in Hooks TX so about a three hours drive for me. I have a raised pintal hitch for the truck and it has a towing package that works pretty well. I towed my lub. trailer a couple of months ago from hooks with no problem. I am going to take a compressor to air up the tires, the trailer I got has the tool boxes but no spare, so I will be carring the spare from one of my bolster trailer just in case, if anyone has a spare I am in the market since one of the bloster trailers and now this flat bed are without! I will watch the braking, no fun being pushed through traffic lights,
James G.
Rumplecat,

Have you completed this recovery yet? Hopefully all went well.

I'm interested in how your Armada handled to weight of the trailer without brakes.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not yet, it took over a week for GL to send my EUC on to Battle Creek, no changes just slow sending on their end! I hope to get an appointment this Thursday morning. I also won a compressor I planing on strapping to the trailer, so it will earn it's keep from day one.
James G.

Nonotagain

Not yet, it took over a week for GL to send my EUC on to Battle Creek, no changes just slow sending on their end! I hope to get an appointment this Thursday morning. I also won a compressor I planing on strapping to the trailer, so it will earn it's keep from day one.
James G.
If you can get them to load the compressor on the back of the trailer. I think you are going to find that the trailer has a lot of tongue weight.

Also, with the axles mounted in the middle of the trailer the trailer will wag around a bit once you speed gets above 50 mph or so.

Check the parking brake cables as they get crushed when the trailer is picked up with a fork truck.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This compressor weighs around 600 lbs. if I load it on the rear, thats not going to be make it fishtail worse on me is it? Also this trailer has the boxes and "rack" still on it anyone know how far back the rack extends on the bed?
James

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks