• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military low boy trailers 15-20k

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3 questions:

What is the NSN of the M172A1?

What other Mil trailers could be used to haul a deuce?

Any advise on if the Mil trailers have any advantage over civvy trailers, when it comes to hauling a 13k deuce? (cost, performance, cool factor)

Thanks to all,

Rick

Jones

Found out the hard way that some of the military trailers are too wide to operate on a civilian trip permit.
You can narrow a HET by taking off the outside duals but the M1000 trailers for instance are just too wide overall.

Alredneck

Banned
Mil trailers are not always as reasonable as civy trailers. M871 and M872 are almost 4ft off the ground so would require more work preping a deuce to transport ( fold the windshield, remove exhaust, tarps and bows etc ) without being over height.

My 2009 40ft Gooseneck low profile is 2 1/2ft off the ground and can carry 11+tons. It cost $6900.00 brand new last year with dovetail and triple ramps. Has hauled almost 2 million pounds of mil equipment and boats. My M871 cost $1100 bucks but is a pain to load without a loading dock and only has 30+ feet of deck space but can carry 22tons. My next trailer will most likely be a 48ft expandable to 72ft low profile with HYDs and sitting on 17.5s in the 35ton range!

Jones

Most heavy duty trailers carry lots of weight by spreading the load over many, many tires. Not sure how much weight a trailer with singles would be good for.

Alredneck

Banned
Most heavy duty trailers carry lots of weight by spreading the load over many, many tires. Not sure how much weight a trailer with singles would be good for.
? Whos/which trailer is running singles?

Also I would add, M871 is roughly 15,000lbs empty, my 40ft low pro 8,000lbs empty! Save a bunch of fuel by saving weight. Mil trailers are definantly heavy duty but heavy as all get out. The cost for newer civilian aluminum trailers pay for itself in the long run. If you are going to use it everyday go with a civilian model, if its something on the weekends or every once in a while, buy surplus!

You can find used aluminum stepdecks in 48-53ft for $4500 up!

Lowboys, RGNs, lowpros, all can get pretty pricey with the different lengths options and weight ratings.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found out the hard way that some of the military trailers are too wide to operate on a civilian trip permit.
You can narrow a HET by taking off the outside duals but the M1000 trailers for instance are just too wide overall.
What is the width max? 96"?

And forgive my ignorance but what is a trip permit? Is that a way to operate heavy equipment without a CDL?

Rick

Nonotagain

What is the width max? 96"?

And forgive my ignorance but what is a trip permit? Is that a way to operate heavy equipment without a CDL?

Rick
Max width should be 102 inches without a permit.

If you are going to haul construction equipment offroad and locally, the mil trailer makes sence.

If hauling over improved roads i.e. highways, a goose neck or fifth wheel commcerical trailer is the way to go.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would guess the IDEAL trailer would be a m870, moded with hydraulics for the folding , or the civi version by miller

Last edited:

Jones

Rick,

Out here CalTrans issues trip permits for overweight or oversize loads. They even specify the route you're to take so that you don't wipe out an overpass or crush a bridge enroute.
A CDL is still required.

L999here

...easier than that...

HAD to get an M172A1 to haul my FV432 APC (avatar),as it is 30K and almost 9" wide. The M172A1 is 115" (9'7") and does require a 'wide-load' permit. The permits are available on a one-time basis or a yearly fee. In Indiana,I can drive a semi with my M172A1 without a CDL. Both vehicles are titled,plated and registered as 'FARM' vehicles and no CDL is required...just have to stay within 150 mi. of South Bend,IN. There are legal,easy ways to do things...you just have to ask and research all the options. Most states have similar rules/laws. Also...the 1943 White halftrack and the Ferret are easier to load-up and haul with a wide trailer...and much safer to unload. Besides....how many civilian trailers are available that will haul 25-tons and cost less than $3K...? Thank you,GL...!!! Remember...the military vehicles are made to heavier specs and will do their job much better and safer than a comparable civilian vehicle....period.

Alredneck

Banned
102in ( 8ft ) is max width without permits

Military trailers do have a advantage offroad! More clearance, strong frames.

Cali make it hard on out of state drivers and imagine in state drivers have a lot to deal with as well!
Over regulated GOVT! Cali is what the US will look like in a few more years if we dont put a stop to it![thumbzup]

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, where can I look up trailer dimensions on the various mil trailers? I checked the NSN info on various trailers but have not seen the dimensions.

All I have is the GL shipping info and for some reason I don't trust those numbers:-?

Right now I am seeking info on the mx1048 length and width. It's not a 5th wheel trailer, but what the hey...

Rick

tamangel

a quick search found only this reference:

TM 9-2330-396-14&P Operator field and sustainment maintenance manual including repair parts and special tools list for trailer flatbed medium 6-ton 8-wheel M1048A1 NSN 2330-01-406-2090 EIC ICC TM9-2330-396-14&P

maybe it will say in the manual somewhere if you can locate it..

Mike

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
just google the m number , for example M870 trailer

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks