• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Magazine resto guide

greencom

Does anyone have a copy of this they would part with? Or a PDF copy? Thanks in advance...

View attachment 855056
Does anyone have a copy of this they would part with? Or a PDF copy? Thanks in advance...

View attachment 855056
[/

View attachment 855056
This "Restoration" guide is not even worth scanning, it has no real restoration information in it
other that the included copies of parts of manuals. Most of the data in the book is available in existing manual reprints. He recounts painting parts, replacing some bolt-on parts and spraying BBQ paint on the underside of the vehicle. IMHO you are not missing anything important.

CGarbee

I had a copy of David Ahl's book at one time (given to me for a Christmas present when it was published). It was a compilation of his articles in MV Magazine (he was the magazine's publisher).
The info wasn't bad, but the book could have been a lot more...

I no longer have my copy, I loaned it out and never got it back.

My take on the care and feeding, renovation, diesel conversion, etc...of a M37 and of a XM708 is covered on my website...

I have the M37 manuals on my dropbox if anyone wants access...
I have the Lucarelli Chevy V8 Conversion manual (that has more useful info about maintaining a M37 than Ahl's book...) scanned and on my dropbox as well...

Last edited:

Joe Bertram

Hey guys I know this is an old thread but does anybody have a copy of this that they're willing to loan or sell? My 14yo daughter and I have been working on a M-56B1 Dodge shop truck and I would like her to be able to use this for reference material as we work on the truck. I have several print manuals for the truck and I think right now I'd like her to be able to get accustomed to a newer style print publication instead of jumping right in to the 70yo military manuals. Thanks in advance. Joe

John Mc

Question: What are copies of Dodge M37 Restoration Guide by David Ahl actually selling for?

I can't find a history on eBay or Amazon. I have an old copy that came with my truck when I bought it. I've never even put the effort into thinking of selling it. I certainly can't see it going for $700 someone mentioned in this thread.

Joe Bertram

Question: What are copies of Dodge M37 Restoration Guide by David Ahl actually selling for?

I can't find a history on eBay or Amazon. I have an old copy that came with my truck when I bought it. I've never even put the effort into thinking of selling it. I certainly can't see it going for $700 someone mentioned in this thread.
One just sold on eBay this week for 205

Joe Bertram

I have a copy that was given to me. It's honestly not what you think...

It's more of a "This is what I did" than a nut by nut restoration. It's good reading, but honestly I haven't cracked mine since initially glancing through it

View attachment 915152

View attachment 915153
I hoping to keep my 14 year old daughter interested in the restoration of our truck (trucks) and thinking a couple of books like this will be able to connect her to the project and get her started

CGarbee

I hoping to keep my 14 year old daughter interested in the restoration of our truck (trucks) and thinking a couple of books like this will be able to connect her to the project and get her started
Honestly, I would introduce her to the Military manuals...they are well written and the foundation that you will create will last a lifetime. I would also introduce her to the PM Magazine articles on the M37 since they are in more of a "cartoon" format having been designed to catch the soldier's eye and be easy to digest...
I think that Dave Lucarelli's GM V8 conversion manual has WAY MORE information on the M37 in general, and how to fix things, then David's book.
The David Ahl book was a compilation of his articles showing what he did. Some info is ok, some is lacking....
I am biased, but I think that I have better information on my website, and know that the collective wisdom here and at the G741.org site is vastly superior to what was in Dave's book.
Will all of the above, I have to say that I was gifted a copy of Dave's book when it first came out, enjoyed the afternoon that I spent in front of a fire reading it, and regret that the person I loaned it to never returned it.

Find one at a yard sale for $25 or less, buy it... don't rely on it as your sole source of wisdom....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks