• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military? trailer ID?

4624ever

Looking for your expertise on these things. Seller is advertising it as an old military trailer. I have my doubts, but maybe it was and has been heavily modded.
72" long bed. 38" tall from ground. Currently running 14 inch wheels. What say you? Thanks in advance, Dave

mil trailer2.jpg

mil trailer1.jpg

Jeepadict

I see some indicators that appear to predate the 101 series trailers. It's definitely not a M416. I'd wager it likely was some type of military trailer. How is it registered and what's listed as the manufacturer and model on the title?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

4624ever

I see some indicators that appear to predate the 101 series trailers. It's definitely not a M416. I'd wager it likely was some type of military trailer. How is it registered and what's listed as the manufacturer and model on the title?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
No title, being used as a farm or junk hauling trailer in rural Georgia. Besides the 72" long bed, it's 52" wide not including fenders.

D6T

The sides and fenders scream WWII British to me; a quick online search doesn’t show any exact matches however. Close, but no cigar.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As D6T mentions, it does have a resemblance to Brit Sankey trailers, of which there are many variations.

It could also be US because there were just so many different types, from a bunch of manufacturers, used in smaller numbers during and after WWII.

It would look nice fixed up, and with some bows and a tarp.

Cheers

msgjd

with exposed civilian-type axle bearing caps, hubcap-type rims, and that style of bed, it's not a US military jeep trailer of the 1940's on up..

However, the Spen company made many jeep-type trailers.. One of their particular models, at quick glance from the front, was a twin to the Bantam M100 military jeep trailer complete with the same flared section along the top of the walls like M100's and M416's.. , Spen also offered a canvas and bows option...

But the Spen's had a civilian-type grease cap axle like yours, rims like yours, hubcaps with "SPEN" embossed on them, and a tailgate... All which the Mil's do not have ..

Spen marketed them to contractors, utility companies, and general public.. They were a good match with Willy's trucks of the time, and of course farmers using surplus jeeps and early CJ's for a slew of tasks.. .. I doubt it's a Spen knowing their 1950's design requiring different tooling than what formed yours, especially the fenders , but i suppose it could be an early rudimentary design of theirs.. Or someone else's..

It does scream british but maybe you can google spen and see if anything like your shows with those straight-up walls

Last edited:

4624ever

with exposed civilian-type axle bearing caps, hubcap-type rims, and that style of bed, it's not a US military jeep trailer of the 1940's on up..

However, the Spen company made many jeep-type trailers.. One of their particular models, at quick glance from the front, was a twin to the Bantam M100 military jeep trailer complete with the same flared section along the top of the walls like M100's and M416's.. , Spen also offered a canvas and bows option...

But the Spen's had a civilian-type grease cap axle like yours, rims like yours, hubcaps with "SPEN" embossed on them, and a tailgate... All which the Mil's do not have ..

Spen marketed them to contractors, utility companies, and general public.. They were a good match with Willy's trucks of the time, and of course farmers using surplus jeeps and early CJ's for a slew of tasks.. .. I doubt it's a Spen knowing their 1950's design requiring different tooling than what formed yours, especially the fenders , but i suppose it could be an early rudimentary design of theirs.. Or someone else's..

It does scream british but maybe you can google spen and see if anything like your shows with those straight-up walls
Many thanks for taking the time and giving a detailed answer. I'm learning from you guys and every time I do more research. Maybe in time the mystery will be solved. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks