• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Trailer Title in North Carolina

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I bought this trailer from a guy in Georgia, it's a military trailer but the added a drop ramp on back to help load a golf cart. He bought it from a govt auction in Texas (no way to really know). He never titled it in Georgia because evidently you don't have to have tags for trailers there. I have a bill of sale from him to me but that's basically it. We had a NC State inspector come out to the house to look at it thinking we would just have to have it inspected and we'd go from there to get title and then tags. This guy is talking about having to get a 3 year bond for insurance before we can do anything. Is there anyone here form NC that could help out with some sound advice on the best way to get this thing titled and tagged?

thanks brothers

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
La is crazy stupid with Title and registration fees along with hefty late fees and require a title.
Probably like the former owner, I did not feel the need for a $75 piece of paper from GL or GP to go get a plate.
All my trailers are registered in Maine. They typically do not require a title for older military trailers with non standard vins. A bill of sale and a notarized form is all that is needed. Can all be done on website and you get a perfectly legal Maine Plate and registration.
Most inter modal chassis and many fleets carry Maine plates for a reason.....
YMMV

pmramsey

You need a trusted friend over the Virginia State Line. Give your friend a bill of sale for the trailer and deliver it to Virginia. Your friend can go to the local VA DMV and complete an altered trailer certificate form. Pay the $75 fee. Take it to the local VA State Police office and request an officer inspection of the trailer. Takes five minutes. The officer signs the form and return it to the same DMV Office. Your friend will be issued a new and compliant VIN number on a metal plate that must be affixed to the trailer tongue. The VIN plate will already have drilled holes and compliant screws to mount on the newly altered trailer. A new title is issued by the DMV in your friend's name. You and your friend meet and exchange pleasantries, trailer, and title. Go to your NC DMV with your newly minted trailer title and request a NC title in your name and a new tag if required.. It is all legal and customary means of handling such matters here in Virginia. Its just THAT simple. Total cost about $125 and your time. No insurance bonds.

Last edited:

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a trusted friend over the Virginia State Line. Give your friend a bill of sale for the trailer and deliver it to Virginia. Your friend can go to the local VA DMV and complete an altered trailer certificate form. Pay the $75 fee. Take it to the local VA State Police office and request an officer inspection of the trailer. Takes five minutes. The officer signs the form and return it to the same DMV Office. Your friend will be issued a new and compliant VIN number on a metal plate that must be affixed to the trailer tongue. The VIN plate will already have drilled holes and compliant screws to mount on the newly altered trailer. A new title is issued by the DMV in your friend's name. You and your friend meet and exchange pleasantries, trailer, and title. Go to your NC DMV with your newly minted trailer title and request a NC title in your name and a new tag if required.. It is all legal and customary means of handling such matters here in Virginia. Its just THAT simple. Total cost about $125 and your time. No insurance bonds.
This is what we were told by one NCDMV office here, bring bill of sale to office they will assign a VIN, we stamp the trailer, get it inspected by HWY Patrol take that back to DMV and rock on. But when wife called to have an inspector come out to house he said that if we stamp a trailer with a VIN when it already has a VIN then we are committing fraud and are liable. Then he went on to tell her about all the insurance we have to have on it and a bond for 3 years etc etc. I just briefly looked into the whole Maine thing and that might be the way to go. Now our problem is this state guy came out to the house and took tons of pictures of the trailer so makes me think its sort of in the system already. We're not trying to do anything illegal but what he was saying just sounded ridiculous. And we do live about 20 minutes from the VA state line by the way LOL.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No way is it in Maine's system nor would they care. I assume you do not have a 17 digit standard vin, just a data plate so even doubtful NC could track it as they do not know military suppliers. Ma just wants their fee and a few $ for tax.

What model trailer is it? M116?

Why pay fees and taxes twice to 2 different states?

Best part of it for Maine is that probably 98% of the trailers, never roll on Maine Roads. Maybe $1 in a plate....... All gov't should be this effective. It is just a trailer, states make it so complicated like it was an Airplane or something ;-)

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No way is it in Maine's system nor would they care. I assume you do not have a 17 digit standard vin, just a data plate so even doubtful NC could track it as they do not know military suppliers. Ma just wants their fee and a few $ for tax.

What model trailer is it? M116?

Why pay fees and taxes twice to 2 different states?

Best part of it for Maine is that probably 98% of the trailers, never roll on Maine Roads. Maybe $1 in a plate....... All gov't should be this effective. It is just a trailer, states make it so complicated like it was an Airplane or something ;-)
Actually it does have a 17 digit VIN but it's not in the NC system.

I don't know the Model, I've tried to find it online but haven't had any luck yet.

The guy I bought it from added the drop ramp at the back of the trailer but it started life as a tilt trailer made by Northeast Fabrications LLC, Walton NY on 1-07. They also added some kind of framing and diamond plate that was added to the front of the trailer, like a windbreak or something. Here's a picture of it.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a specialized frame, maybe some kind of drash or gen set trailer that has been heavily modified. Hmmwv tires and rims.

What is the weight? 3000lbs or lower?

These are the folk I have used. no complaints:

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a specialized frame, maybe some kind of drash or gen set trailer that has been heavily modified. Hmmwv tires and rims.

I haven't weighed her yet - its on the to do list.

Yeh what I thought as well a gen set trailer.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why don't you simply leave it registered in Georgia? Ask the seller to leave the registration in their name with a GA tag and keep the Bill of Sale showing that you own the trailer. If you get stopped in North Carolina all you have to say is that you borrowed the trailer.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Or I can do it in TN for no trouble

Registering trailers here isn't required but an owner can do it and get a title for it. It's suggested for traveling out of state but Noone does it since it's wording in the law "if the owner chooses to do so"

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why don't you simply leave it registered in Georgia? Ask the seller to leave the registration in their name with a GA tag and keep the Bill of Sale showing that you own the trailer. If you get stopped in North Carolina all you have to say is that you borrowed the trailer.
The previous owner never registered it. Evidently GA doesnt need a tag on trailers, so he never titled it when they bought it from the military auction.

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Here's the paper the NCDMV guy gave my wife...

Attachments

M1102DumbGrunt

COVID and the local VA DMV makes this process a little more challenging. I just had this done with an M1102. If you can schedule it correctly with the VA DMV, this process can take only 2 trips to DMV and one trip to a local PD or State Trooper office. Get the new VIN (then install it), take a trip to the local or State Troopers office to sign off that there is a VIN, then back to the DMV for Title and tags.

Sounds easy, but scheduling with DMV is a challenge and you will wait months to do it by mail.....I tried.

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
COVID and the local VA DMV makes this process a little more challenging. I just had this done with an M1102. If you can schedule it correctly with the VA DMV, this process can take only 2 trips to DMV and one trip to a local PD or State Trooper office. Get the new VIN (then install it), take a trip to the local or State Troopers office to sign off that there is a VIN, then back to the DMV for Title and tags.

Sounds easy, but scheduling with DMV is a challenge and you will wait months to do it by mail.....I tried.
I just got off the phone with company in Maine listed above, they need power of attorney filled out, a copy of bill of sale, fill out online form, and $99 for a 5 year plate. Girl even said don't worry about the power of attorney, they will send it with the plate and we can get it notarized and mail it back.

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Georgia does require a tag on trailers. Older trailers don't need a title in Georgia, but still need a tag.
Hmmm, I can only repeat what the guy told me but maybe he was just trying to sell the trailer and didn't feel like messing with any of it - who knows.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks